Best known as the location of Disneyland, Anaheim is a popular city for tourists from across America and the rest of the world! Beyond Disney, the city has much more to offer from historic districts to great restaurants.
Figuring out where to stay in the city can be difficult due to its sprawling nature, and with many of the resorts being based around Disneyland. That’s where we come in!
We’ve compiled this guide of the best neighbourhoods in Anaheim for visitors to the city. Whether you are there for a family trip to the theme parks, or simply looking for an alternative to bustling Los Angeles, we have you covered!
So without further ado, let’s get started!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Anaheim
- Where to stay in Anaheim for your first time? Historic District
- Where to stay in Anaheim close to everything? Anaheim Resort
- Where to stay in Anaheim for nightlife? West Anaheim
- Best neighborhood in Anaheim for families? Disneyland Area
- Where to stay in Anaheim on a budget? Southwest Anaheim
- Where to stay in Anaheim for couples? Orange
- Where to stay in Anaheim off the beaten path? Fullerton
Where to Stay in Anaheim
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Anaheim.
Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites
- Daily housekeeping
- Outdoor swimming pool
For budget-conscious travelers looking to visit Disneyland, this hotel is a great option as it’s located right next to the park! The hotel has deluxe facilities and also offers complimentary shuttles to both Disneyland and Downtown Disney.
The Dixie Orange County
- Free parking
- Family rooms
- Outdoor swimming pool
If you want to upgrade your accommodation without breaking the bank, Dixie Orange County Hotel is an excellent choice. The hotel features a small but lovely swimming pool perfect for escaping from the Californian heat.
Hyatt Regency Orange County
- Fitness center
- Outdoor swimming pool
This luxurious hotel boasts two on-site swimming pools, an Italian restaurant, and complimentary shuttles to Disneyland. Guests can also enjoy a large 24-hour fitness center, as well as basketball and tennis courts.
Anaheim 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods in Anaheim. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
Best neighbourhood in Anaheim for your first time!
- COOLEST thing to do in Historic District – pick up some acrobatic skills at SwingIt Trapeze, an outdoor adventure park
- BEST place to visit in Historic District – head to Anaheim Packing District to discover over 50 different artisan food vendors
Anaheim Colony Historic District is the main hub for the town and a great place to discover the history of the city. Anaheim has expanded from a small colony south of Los Angeles into the modern city it is today, and this leafy district is where it all began.
Aside from the historic interest, the area also offers some great restaurants and bars – with the Packing District being the main hub for cuisine. It contains breweries, independent food vendors and speciality coffee shops. Anaheim Historic District has a community feel, helping to set it apart from other central districts in the Los Angeles area.
- Learn about the history of the area – from small colony to sprawling metropolis – at Anaheim Heritage Center
- Discover art, culture and heritage exhibits at Muzeo Museum and Cultural Center with plenty of interactive features to keep kids and adults entertained
- Catch a local ice hockey game at The Rinks Anaheim ICE, or simply enjoy one of their public skating sessions
- Looking for some great vegan food? Healthy Junk offers excellent meals at reasonable prices
- Take a brewery tour and sample the local craft beer scene at Unsung Brewing Company, just outside Packing District
Best Budget Hotel in Historic District
Anaheim Asoria Inn is a 2-star motel that offers bright and modern rooms at budget-friendly prices! It also has a fantastic location for those visiting Anaheim with it being just a 15 minutes’ walk from the world-famous Disneyland Resort.
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Historic District
The Quality Inn are known across the globe for their mid-range comfort, and this hotel is well-rated thanks to its facilities! It is located on the edge of the Historic District, within walking distance of Disneyland – allowing you to explore multiple areas with ease. There is an outdoor pool on-site and complimentary breakfast.
Best Luxury Hotel in Historic District
This is another great hotel close to both the Historic District and Disneyland – you can even see the fireworks from your window! There is a swimming pool and hot tub on-site, as well as a great restaurant offering continental breakfasts each morning. There is a large business centre for corporate guests.
Like Hostels? Have a look at the coolest hostels in San Diego!
Where to stay in Anaheim close to everything!
- COOLEST thing to do in Anaheim Resort – visiting in July? Attend VidCon – the largest convention dedicated to online video and YouTube stars
- BEST place to visit in Anaheim Resort – visit Angel Stadium Anaheim to catch a baseball game
Anaheim Resort is the main tourist area in Anaheim, with Disneyland located in the north and multiple facilities available. The area is perhaps best known as the location of Anaheim Convention Centre where VidCon is hosted each year! This is when multiple YouTube stars and other video creators descend upon the city for discussions and meet and greets.
Throughout the year, Anaheim Resort hosts great entertainment venues and dining locations to cater to the many kinds of tourists that visit. Its location is unbeaten for areas in Anaheim, close to all of the main areas in the centre of the city and with great transportation links to the rest of Southern California!
- Catch a live show with dinner at M3Live Event Center – shows vary throughout the year so read up in advance
- Shop luxury and international brands at discounted prices at The Outlets at Orange – the largest outlet mall in Orange County!
- Head to the Flightdeck Flight Simulation centre to try a test flight and learn more about civil aviation
- StarLine Tours offer excellent tours not just of Anaheim but of the wider Los Angeles area and are based in Anaheim Resort
- Catch international performances and concerts at City National Grove of Anaheim, based in the Platinum Triangle
Best Budget Hotel in Anaheim Resort
This hotel offers great facilities at budget-friendly prices, and is located right next to Anaheim Convention Center! High-speed WiFi is available throughout the property, and a continental breakfast is provided for all guests. There is a small business centre for corporate guests and on-site laundry services.
Short on time in San Diego? Doesn’t matter we have trips from San Diego you can do in one day!
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Anaheim Resort
Located right in the heart of Anaheim Resort, this hotel also offers complimentary shuttle services to Disneyland! The hotel offers apartments complete with full kitchens and balconies offering views across the city. Free parking is also available on-site – perfect if you are visiting with a car.
Best Luxury Hotel in Anaheim Resort
This luxurious hotel has two on-site swimming pools, and Italian restaurant and complimentary shuttles to Disneyland! There is a large 24-hour fitness centre, as well as basketball courts and tennis courts – perfect for active guests. A large American style buffet breakfast is provided every morning. Rooms come with modern facilities and free WiFi.
Where to stay in Anaheim for nightlife!
- COOLEST thing to do in West Anaheim – enjoy a more intimate brewery and beer tasting experience at Towne Park Brew
- BEST place to visit in West Anaheim – visit Little Arabia district to sample multicultural cuisine and enjoy Arab inspired bars
West Anaheim is one of the most multicultural areas in the city, with Little Arabia serving as the main hub for the Arab community in Southern California! The surrounding streets contain restaurants and bars inspired by the different ethnic communities that reside in the area. Located next to the Historic District, it is also a great base for getting around the city.
Though a lot of Anaheim’s nightlife is based around Disneyland, West Anaheim offers a more reserved nightlife experience for those looking to get away from the streams of tourists around the theme parks! If you’re looking to mingle with locals, this is a great area to stay in.
- Shop until you drop at Anaheim Plaza – a popular mall with international brands and casual dining options
- Gain a more unique and authentic insight into local life in Anaheim by taking a tour with Anaheim Tour Company
- Keen on enjoying a round of golf whilst in the city? Dad Millers Golf Club is popular with the local crowd
- Head to Chain Reaction – the most popular nightclub in the area offering modern music and creative cocktails
- Enjoy a typical American diner experience and eat away the hangover with breakfast at Spires
- Taste some great Italian cuisine and pick up fresh ingredients at Cortina’s
Best Budget Hotel in West Anaheim
The Kona Inn Motel is one of the cheapest accommodation options in the city! Located right in the heart of West Anaheim, it is well situated for discovering the unique nightlife of the area. There is a year-round outdoor pool on-site, as well as free coffee available from the main lobby.
Let’s simplify this! Here are our favorite areas to stay in Santa Cruz!
Best Mid-Range Hotel in West Anaheim
This hotel is a great step-up option that offers apartment suites with kitchens! The boutique vibe adds a touch of luxury for less in this well-priced hotel. There is an outdoor pool and barbecue area where you can mingle with other guests, and a continental breakfast is provided free of charge each morning.
Best Luxury Hotel in West Anaheim
Luxury hotels unfortunately aren’t a thing in West Anaheim, however, there is an abundance of lavish holiday homes and Orchard Villa is certainly one of the best. This huge 5-bedroom property has a luxurious and modern design throughout and boasts spectacular facilities, including a beautiful outdoor pool and hot tub.
Best neighbourhood in Anaheim for families!
- COOLEST thing to do in Disneyland Area – enjoy a game of basketball, tennis or other recreational activities at American Sports Centers
- BEST place to visit in Disneyland Area – this one’s pretty obvious – visit the first Disney Park in the world!
No guide to Anaheim would be complete without including its main attraction – Disneyland! This massive resort offers two theme parks and an entertainment district that draws in tourists from across the globe. With world-famous rides, magical performances and excellent themed bars, this will likely be the centre of activity for most families visiting Anaheim.
The surrounding area is also well catered to tourists, with some local dining options also available as well as large shopping streets. The neighbouring Hermosa Village area is a bit more residential, and offers a calm respite from the intense thrills of Disneyland!
- Visit Disney’s California Adventure – the smaller of the two theme parks with a slightly more laid-back vibe and great thrill rides
- Downtown Disney is the entertainment district of the area and is unticketed so can be visited by anyone – check out the great stores, restaurants and bars on-site
- If you want a shopping and dining experience outside of the Disneyland complex, head to Anaheim Garden Walk
- Visit the House of Blues and enjoy New Orleans inspired music performances and food
- Great Wolf Lodge is a fantastic water park located within walking distance of Disneyland that offers slides, pools and lazy rivers
Best Budget Hotel in Disneyland Area
This budget hotel is located right next to Disney’s California Adventure Park! They also offer complimentary shuttles to Disneyland and Downtown Disney. This is one of the best-rated budget hotels in Anaheim thanks to the great standards of service. Guests are also given discounted rates on park tickets.
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Disneyland Area
This is the perfect hotel for families visiting the area! Howard Johnson are known nationwide for their family-friendly atmosphere, and this hotel comes with a private waterpark for kids to enjoy whilst adults can relax by the on-site pool. Free WiFi is available throughout, as well as coffee machines and basic facilities.
Best Luxury Hotel in Disneyland Area
If you are looking to splurge whilst still remaining close to the parks, this hotel is only a 15 minute walk away from Disneyland! Rooms are kitted out with luxury facilities including marble bathrooms and modern technology. The on-site restaurant offers a variety of international cuisines and local drinks.
MUST READ – Heading to Long Beach next? Check out our post about the most awesome neighborhoods in Long Beach.
Where to stay in Anaheim on a budget!
- COOLEST thing to do in Southwest Anaheim – enjoy world-class thrill rides at a fraction of the cost of Disneyland at Knott’s Berry Farm
- BEST place to visit in Southwest Anaheim – learn about the local Greek Community in the area surrounding the Orthodox Church
Anaheim is a pretty expensive city in general, however, Southwest Anaheim has some great budget dining and accommodation options! There is a chain of theme parks down the main road providing excellent rides and entertainment at cheaper entry prices than the Disney Parks to the east.
Southwest Anaheim, like West Anaheim, is also a very multicultural area with the Greek and Italian communities centering themselves here. The area around the Orthodox Church has the largest Greek community in the Los Angeles area, and offers a unique experience for visitors! The far west of the region also has some excellent student bars and budget nightlife options.
- Visit Adventure City – a small theme park with some great rides for families with small children and basic entertainment facilities
- Cool down at Knott’s Soak City USA – a well-sized waterpark with slides and pools to cater to all ages
- Head to the Buena Park area in the north to sample great Italian cuisine and culture – we suggest John’s Incredible Pizza
- Try out some shooting in a safe environment at FT3 Tactical – they also offer family-friendly packages
- Enjoy a game of slot car racing, or watch a competitive match, at Buena Park Raceway
Best Budget Hotel in Southwest Anaheim
A highly rated hotel situated in Southwest Anaheim, National Inn Garden Grove offers unbeatable prices in a sought-after location. However, National Inn Garden Grove doesn’t only offer cheap prices and a great location, it also offers air-conditioned rooms, all of which come with en-suites.
MUST READ! We’ve organized the best places to stay in San Diego for all types of trips!
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Southwest Anaheim
If you are looking for a step-up in quality whilst still saving some cash, the Dixie Orange County Hotel is a great compromise! A small swimming pool is on-site with some toys and floatation aids for kids. Rooms are air-conditioned with all the basic amenities you require for a short stay.
Best Luxury Hotel in Southwest Anaheim
This hotel is located within the Knott’s Berry Farm complex giving you immediate access to both the main park and the water park! There is a large pool and sun deck on-site, and free WiFi is available in every room. The hotel also comes with a fitness centre, basketball courts and a sauna.
Best neighbourhood in Anaheim for couples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Orange – explore the historic buildings and movie locations of the Old Towne
- BEST place to visit in Orange – marvel at the towering Crystal Cathedral – a church made entirely out of glass!
Orange is a small city located just east of Anaheim and is a great getaway for couples looking to stay outside of the bustling tourist centres within Anaheim itself. The historic city centre has some interesting architecture dating back to the late 1800s and offering insights into the America of the past!
The area also offers some more laid-back shopping experiences and adventure activities. The main shopping districts in Orange are lined with local boutiques, allowing you to pick up some unique souvenirs and clothing! There are also plenty of quaint cafes and relaxed bars to enjoy speciality beverages.
- Head to Irvine Regional Park for excellent hiking trails and recreational facilities, including boat hire on the lake
- Get the adrenaline pumping at Domo One – an indoor go-karting track with cars that reach up to 40mph
- Shop at the Block – the largest outdoor mall in Orange with multiple shops spanning from international brands to local boutiques
- Enjoy culinary delights inspired by Hispanic cuisine at Felix Continental Café
- Paul’s Cocktails is a dive bar that offers excellent cocktails and craft beers at great prices – popular with students and young couples
- Ready to dance the night away? The District Lounge is the most popular nightclub in Orange
Best Budget Hotel in Orange
Despite being a budget hotel, Best Western Orange has some excellent facilities and is perfect for young couples looking to save some cash! There is a small outdoor pool on-site, and they offer a complimentary breakfast. Free parking is available, and each room comes with a coffee machine and WiFi.
Best Mid-Range Hotel in Orange
This motel is located just on the edge of Orange Old Towne, giving you great access to the main attractions of the city. All rooms are air-conditioned and free WiFi is available throughout the property. Free parking is available on-site for guests visiting with cars, and small workspaces are available in the rooms.
Best Luxury Hotel in Orange
The famous hotel of Best Western has really pulled out the stops with their Orange Plaza Hotel, with it boasting brightly lit and modern rooms, all of which are equipped with swanky en-suite. Along with this, the hotel hosts a glistening outdoor swimming pool perfect for escaping from the beaming Californian heat.
Where to stay in Anaheim off the beaten path!
- COOLEST thing to do in Fullerton – take a Haunted Fullerton Walking Tour to discover the dark history of the city
- BEST place to visit in Fullerton – visit the Heritage House to learn about the pioneering culture of America’s West Coast
Fullerton is another great city to get away from the main tourist trails of the region. Located just north of Anaheim, Fullerton was once a major railway town and has grown to become an interesting historic location in the wider Los Angeles area!
If you want to experience local culture and walk along more secluded hiking trails, Fullerton is the place to be! The Downtown area also offers modern facilities and entertainment options, with hipster bars and quirky cafés popping up along its streets.
- Learn about the history of the area and its significance in America’s western expansion at Fullerton Museum Center
- Discover plants imported from across the globe and enjoy a relaxing stroll through the forested areas at Fullerton Arboretum
- Pick up local arts and crafts, and sample some great cuisine, at Fullerton Market and the neighbouring Farmers Market
- Want to visit a unique museum? Moped Museum at Myron’s Mopeds showcases vintage vehicles from the 50s, 60s and 70s
- Eat at Rutabegorz – a Fullerton institution built by hippies in the 1960s and known locally as the best restaurant in town
Best Budget Hotel in Fullerton
The Lemon Tree Hotel has a fantastic location in Fullerton with it being surrounded by with cute cafes and delicious restaurants! However, if you don’t fancy cooking for yourself one evening, you should definitely make use of the hotel’s outdoor barbecue grill.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Fullerton
Holiday Inn Express has a wide range of modern room options, all of which are equipped with a flat-screen TV, a refrigerator, and boutique en-suite bathroom. The hotel also has a fantastic location just a short drive from California State University Fullerton, Disneyland, and Downtown Anaheim.
Best Luxury Hotel in Fullerton
The Hotel Fullerton Anaheim sets itself apart from other hotels in the area by offering luxurious finishing touches including down pillows and quality toiletries. The attention to detail in this hotel is incredible, and each room is fitted with modern furnishings. There is an outdoor pool on-site, and a complimentary hot breakfast.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Anaheim?
Anaheim is a great city within the Great Los Angeles area if you are looking to be based near the theme parks. It also offers a vibrant culture, state-of-the-art tourist attractions and an eclectic restaurant scene.
Our pick of the best area has to go to Anaheim Resort. Located next to Disneyland, the area also has some great attractions in its own right and is well connected to the rest of the city.
Whether you are visiting for the theme parks or looking for a great base outside of Los Angeles, we hope this guide has helped you to figure out the best area for your itinerary in Anaheim.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments.
Editor’s Note – No matter where you are traveling, you NEED to have great travel insurance. We have personally tested TONS of travel insurance companies, and can say without a doubt that World Nomads is the absolute best (and most affordable!). Fill out this form to get a quote for your trip to Anaheim!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)