Tourism to Colombia has exploded over the past few years, and as the capital city, Bogotá is one of the most popular entry points to the country. It is filled with great cuisine, vibrant artistic districts and atmospheric nightlife. If you only have enough time to visit one area of Colombia, Bogotá is definitely the place to be!
The sheer size of the city, poor public transport, and some safety concerns can make finding the perfect place to stay seem a bit daunting.
To help you, we have compiled this list of the best areas to stay in Bogotá. All of these areas are perfectly safe for tourists if you take the usual precautions, and well located for exploring other areas of cities.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Bogotá
- Where to stay in Bogotá for your first time? Chapinero
- Where to stay in Bogotá close to everything? Bogotá International Centre
- Where to stay in Bogotá for nightlife? Zona Rosa
- Best neighborhood in Bogotá for families? Chicó
- Where to stay in Bogotá on a budget? La Candelaria
- Where to stay in Bogotá for couples? Engativá
- Where to stay in Bogotá for a short stay? Teusaquillo
Where to Stay in Bogotá
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Bogotá.
- Extremely clean
- Free Wifi
With views of the mountains and historic city below, you can’t get much closer to the historic center of Bogota than this! Staying in this homey and spacious BnB is sure to be one of the highlights of your trip to Colombia, with all the best bars and restaurants nearby the flat, you won’t find a better place to call home!
- Free WiFi
- 24 Hour Security
- Late check-out
Urbana Hostel is perfectly located in Zona Rosa! The neighbourhood offers excellent nightlife, and is also incredibly safe and well connected for exploring other regions of the city. Urbana Hostel has a very social atmosphere, allowing you to make new friends to explore Bogotá with.
Hotel Casa Deco
- Family rooms
- Non-smoking rooms
- 24-hour front desk
Casa Deco is nestled in La Candelaria – the ultimate budget destination in Bogotá. This accommodation is great value for money, with excellent views across the city from the property and great amenities. If you are on a budget, you can’t go wrong with Hotel Casa Deco!
DoubleTree by Hilton Bogotá Parque 93
- 1 swimming pool
- Free WiFi
- Fitness centre
If you’re going to splurge on a hotel, it makes sense to pick one that offers you the best facilities. DoubleTree are famed worldwide for their excellent service and emphasis on comfort. With a fitness centre, indoor pool and high-quality restaurant, this hotel has everything you could need. It also has great tourism facilities, and even bike hire!
Once you’ve booked, check what there is to do in Bogota!
Bogotá 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the seven best neighborhoods in Bogotá. The city has many different areas that cater to different interests, so make sure to consider what you are looking for before making a decision.
Best neighbourhood in Bogotá for your first time!
- COOLEST thing to do in Chapinero – sample Bogotá’s finest cuisine in Zona G
- BEST place to visit in Chapinero – see the first gothic cathedral built in Colombia – Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes
Chapinero is, without a shadow of a doubt, the hippest neighbourhood in Bogotá! The streets are lined with trendy cafés, bohemian bars and vibrant creative hubs. The South and Central Chapinero districts are particularly safe and very popular with Colombian students and youths.
There is also some great cuisine to be found in Zona G (which stands for gourmet) located entirely within the Chapinero district. Zona G is famous nationwide as one of the best food regions in Colombia, and you are sure to find a variety of national and international cuisines.
LGBT visitors will also be pleased to know that Chapinero holds the crown as the most gay-friendly district in the whole of Colombia! Nicknamed Chapigay by locals, there are plenty of unique bars and clubs to cater to gay visitors.
- Take a speciality coffee tour around Chapinero to sample the best that Colombia has to offer
- Visit Theatron – the largest gay bar in the entire world with a variety of different rooms to cater to all music tastes
- Take your camera with you up Quebrada La Vieja for stunning views across Bogotá
- Continue your time in Zona G by visiting a variety of great craft beer bars, including El Mondo Bandido
- Shop at international brands and high-quality boutiques at Andino Shopping Mall
- Check out the colonial architecture and local hangout spots at Parque del Chicó
- Admire the Monument to Heroes – dedicated to those who fought for the independence of Gran Colombia (now Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador).
Best Air BnB in Chapinero
This boutique-style apartment in the heart of Bogota, will sure to be the stay that will have you considering never leaving Colombia! With its sweeping views of the city and mountains from the 7th floor, this BnB is the perfect place to just relax and take in the skyline!
Best Hostel Chapinero
Hostal La Pinta is centrally located within Chapinero and great for exploring the neighbourhood! The rooms are well furnished and comfortable, with free WiFi available across the property. There’s also a cute garden and terrace area with BBQ facilities.
Best Budget Hotel in Chapinero
This hotel is located in one of the quieter areas of Chapinero – perfect for a peaceful night of sleep! There is complimentary tea and coffee for all guests, and a 24 hour reception desk with tourism service to help you plan your stay.
Best Luxury Hotel in Chapinero
This luxurious hotel is located within a beautiful, colonial-style building. There is a full fitness centre available for all guests and a high-quality restaurant on-site. To expand your palate further, it is also located right in the heart of Zona G – perfect for foodies!
Let’s narrow it down! Near Bogota Airport are some of the best hostels!
Where to stay in Bogotá close to everything!
- COOLEST thing to do in BIC – witness a bullfight at the Plaza de Toros de Santamaria
- BEST place to visit in BIC – check out the Museo Nacional – one of the oldest museums in South America
Bogotá International Center is the main business district in Bogotá and the best place to find good connections to other areas of the city. As it is neighboured by some of the most popular tourist districts in the city, BCI is ideal if you want to avoid Bogotá’s notorious public transit system!
As a business centre, there aren’t many attractions to be had in the area, however, the surrounding regions are worth a visit. Some of them are more dangerous, so BCI is a good place to base yourself without having to worry about safety whilst exploring the rougher areas surrounding it.
The main sights in BCI are the museums and the bullfighting arena. These allow you to sample some of Colombia’s more traditional culture – especially the aspects which are influenced by Spanish colonisation. There are also some great upmarket restaurants across Centro Internacional that allow you to sample fine cuisine Bogotá style.
- Have a luxurious culinary experience at some of the many high-end restaurants in the area
- Visit the cheap markets at Los Mártires – crime can be a little higher in this area, so we suggest leaving your valuables at the hotel and taking low amounts of cash. You won’t need much anyway!
- Learn about stargazing at the Planetarium
- Go to the top of the Avianca Tower for spectacular views across Bogotá – especially at sunset
- Check out the contemporary Colombian art scene at the Museum of Modern Art
- For a more off the beaten path art museum, check out the National Photography Museum
- Visit the quirky La Macarena district for bohemian vibes and cool cafés
Don’t stop the party! Read up on Bogota’s best party hostels too!
Best Air BnB in BCI
With colonial buildings and museums surrounding your new home in Bogota, you will find that you BnB fits right in with the rest of the city’s historic old town. Complete with a living room, spacious bedroom, and stunning views of the city, this is a place that you will be wanting to extend your stay night after night!
Best Hostel BCI
El Pit Hostel is well located close to the Museums and Bolivar Square – the main square in BCI. Guests are provided with a complimentary continental breakfast each morning, and it is one of the few hostels in the world to have a restaurant on-site. They also offer bike hire and airport transfer services.
Recommended Article – have you checked out our article about the best Hostels in Medellin?
Best Budget Hotel in BCI
This hotel is also close to the museums, as well as within easy walking distance of the planetarium. Rooms on higher levels provide great views over the city and are well equipped with sturdy furnishings and en-suite facilities. There is a laundry service within the hotel – great for longer stays!
Best Luxury Hotel in BCI
This ultra-modern hotel is a great option for splurging during your time in Bogotá. The hotel features an indoor swimming pool – which is a rarity in the dense city! It also has spa facilities, a mini golf course and an Italian restaurant. Guests are provided with a complimentary buffet breakfast each morning including speciality Colombian coffee.
P.S. – Save a bit of cash in Bogota with our EPIC guide to the best hostels in Bogota!
Where to stay in Bogotá for nightlife!
- COOLEST thing to do in Zona Rosa – learn Spanish and dance at the same time at La Villa every Tuesday
- BEST place to visit in Zona Rosa – shop international brands and local boutiques at Centro Comercial Andino
Zona Rosa is the nightlife hub of Bogotá, and it’s easy to see why! A wide range of bars and clubs to cater to all tastes are available across the area, as well as great shopping and dining options. Also known as Zona T, it is one of the safest neighbourhoods in Bogotá allowing you to sit back and soak up the atmosphere every night.
The nightlife scene here is popular with tourists and locals alike, and many of the clubs offer nights that encourage you to mingle with the locals. Many of the venues are open until sunrise, letting you dance the night away and take in the Colombian aguardiente.
The malls also combine local shops with international brands, making them the perfect place to pick a new outfit for your night out. Northern Zona Rosa is flanked with beautiful parks that allow you to take a relaxing stroll and admire the scenery of Bogotá. Like everywhere else in Bogotá, there are also plenty of restaurants to cater to both budget and upmarket tourists.
- Learn Salsa at La Villa on Thursday nights
- Stroll around the gorgeous parks in the north of the city
- Enjoy live DJs day and night at Armando Records
- Indulge in a luxury shopping experience at El Retiro Shopping Centre
- Sample international cuisines with a Colombian twist across the area – with specialities including French, Italian and Asian influences
- Visiting on a budget? Fill up on cheap drinks at Porompompero
- Sample a wide range of Colombian meat dishes for a good price at Andres Carne de Res
Best Air BnB in Zona Rosa
Simple, quaint, and a price that no other apartment in Bogota can beat. This BnB will have you falling in love with the city with its beautiful views, cozy beds, and a lounge perfect to just hang out in after a long day of exploring. With tons of bar and restaurants nearby, you will find just as much to do at night than during the day!
Best Hostel Zona Rosa
Urbana Hostel is designed for social travellers looking to meet with others whilst in Bogotá. The hostel boasts a large terrace and multiple communal areas where you can meet others to join you on a night out in Zona Rosa. Complimentary Colombian coffee and WiFi are also provided – making it great for digital nomads!
Best Budget Hotel in Zona Rosa
Hotel Excelsior is located just on the outskirts of Zona Rosa, providing a calm setting for a great night’s sleep, whilst still being within easy walking distance of the main nightlife venues. A complimentary American style breakfast is provided to guests, and there is WiFi available throughout the property.
Best Luxury Hotel in Zona Rosa
This hotel is located right in the heart of Zona Rosa. Still need peace and quiet? No worries – the rooms are soundproofed! The hotel also provides 24-hour room service and wide workspaces, making it a great option if you need to get some work done during your stay. A buffet breakfast and speciality coffee are provided to all guests.
Best neighbourhood in Bogotá for families!
- COOLEST thing to do in Chicó – climb to Mirador de la Paloma for excellent views over the city
- BEST place to visit in Chicó – check out 93 Park – a popular spot for shopping and dining, as well as taking a relaxing stroll
Despite being relatively central, Chicó is a very peaceful neighbourhood in Bogotá and has great links to the other surrounding areas! Along with the high safety levels, this makes it a perfect base for families exploring Bogotá.
It is quite an affluent area, so expect to spend more whilst in Chicó – however, there are plenty of budget options if you look hard enough. The Parque 93 area is popular with locals and visitors from across Bogotá thanks to the local boutiques, interesting cuisine and more relaxed nightlife options.
It is also well connected with surrounding areas, allowing you to venture a little further for some of the more cultural activities. There is a wide array of activities available for all ages, and the smaller Parque del Chicó is great for taking in colonial architecture.
- Try out rock climbing and abseiling at Escape Ecoturismo y Aventura
- Check out artefacts from pre-colonial and Spanish era Colombia at Museo do Chicó
- Take in one of the most ornate churches in the city – Iglesia de la Tercera Orden
- Bask in the local atmosphere at Plaza de Santander
- Tour the city with a local and learn about Colombia’s revolutionary history with Gran Colombia Tours
- Unwind at one of the many upscale spas available in the neighbourhood
- Experience the local art scene – both contemporary and traditional – at the small boutique art galleries near 93 Park
Best Air BnB in Chicó
With a warm house welcoming you to the BnB with a simple, you will feel right at home at this cozy apartment. Complete with a bedroom, living room, and kitchen, you will feel as if you are moving right into Bogota. With restaurants and bars just a short walk away, this is one of the best places in the city to base yourself out of!
Best Hostel Chicó
AK Hostel 82 has a very laid back vibe with great socialising areas. It is located just on the southern edge of Chicó, making it great for exploring Zona Rosa whilst you are there. There is a bar on site, and a pool table to play with other guests! Free WiFi is available throughout the property.
Best Budget Hotel in Chicó
Located in the heart of the Parque 93 area, this hotel is perfect for checking out the best of what Chicó has to offer. There is a shared kitchen on-site, allowing you to prepare your own food to save a little! Though it is a hotel with private rooms, there are also great communal spaces for meeting other guests whilst there.
Best Luxury Hotel in Chicó
DoubleTree is Hilton’s family-friendly brand, making this the perfect option if you are visiting the city with kids. There is a fitness centre and indoor swimming pool within the hotel, as well as an upscale restaurant and bar. Bike rental is available to all guests – perfect for keeping the family active!
Where to stay in Bogotá on a budget!
- COOLEST thing to do in La Candelaria – check out the street art on the Bogotá Graffiti Art Walking Tour
- BEST place to visit in La Candelaria – soak up the atmosphere of the city at Plaza de Bolivar
La Candelaria is the place to be in Bogotá! This is where the city was born, and to this day is packed with historical sights, cool art districts and excellent cuisine. There are plenty of great walking tours around La Candelaria where you can learn about the history of Colombia and the modern culture.
As the main centre of Bogotá, La Candelaria is bustling with life and is the best place to take in the local culture. What’s more, it is also by far one of the cheapest neighbourhoods in Colombia! Your money will go much further and give you a much more enriching experience than other more expensive areas of the city.
From the many museums and monuments to the quaint cafés and rowdy bars, there’s truly something for everyone in La Candelaria. There are also plenty of shopping options – especially if you are interested in locally produced goods and bargain souvenirs. If you’re stuck for choice, you can’t go wrong opting to stay in La Candelaria!
- Visit the Museo Botero to learn about the most famous artist to come from Colombia
- Take in magnificent views over the city from the Monserrate Mountain
- Sample traditional Colombian food from your choice of cheap restaurants – we particularly like La Puerta Real
- Wander the streets and admire the colonial architecture and colourfully decorated buildings of the area
- Learn about the fight for independence, Simon Bolivar and what happened to Gran Colombia at the Independence Museum
- Get emeralds at discount prices at the variety of jewellery stores across the area
- Learn about Colombia’s most historically important industry at the Gold Museum
Best Air BnB in Chicó
This BnB’s boutique decor, trendy atmosphere, and wide-open windows looking over the breathtaking Bogota skyline is sure to make you fall in love with the city. It is the small touches of home that will make you feel right at one with the big city. With all the best sites and places to eat nearby, you could not ask for a better location!
Best Hostel La Candelaria
This hostel draws inspiration from the creative and bohemian area it is located in. The owners love photography, and there is a gallery on-site where you can browse their work and even purchase some to take home. Art lovers will not want to leave this creative haven!
Editor’s note – If you are going to stay in Cartagena, you should check out our article about the best hostels in Cartagena.
Best Budget Hotel in La Candelaria
Located in the heart of the Centro Historico, this hotel is one of the best located in the city. There is free WiFi across the property, as well as a small business centre if you need to get some work done. A communal terrace invites you to mingle with other guests and admire great views over Bogotá.
Best Luxury Hotel in La Candelaria
This lavish hotel will have you feeling like a VIP! There is a spa on site that is complimentary for all guests, and a massive breakfast spread every morning. The historic building is an attraction in itself, beautifully exemplifying the colonial style of La Candelaria. There are even rooms with balconies, offering great views over Bogotá.
Best neighbourhood in Bogotá for couples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Engativá – shop ‘til you drop at the Centro Comercial Titán Plaza
- BEST place to visit in Engativá – learn about the history of the region at the Parque Principal de Engativá and the neighbouring museum
Engativá is a little off the beaten path compared to other areas of Bogotá but is still well worth the visit. A little further out from the city centre, this area is peaceful but still has plenty of attractions to offer – with shopping being the biggest one. Boasting many large malls, the most popular is the Titán Plaza that offers international brands and local outlets.
It is also a very budget friendly area that nevertheless offers some great luxury experiences at lower prices than elsewhere in the world. This is the ideal neighbourhood to unwind in city parks, enjoy games of golf and relax at discounted spas offering a wide range of therapies and health services.
What’s more, it is also the closest neighbourhood to the airport! If you are taking an extended trip around Colombia and only plan on visiting the capital for a few days, this is the perfect location with good connections to the rest of the city. If you are making the trip there, you should definitely check out our article about the best day trips in Bogota.
- Enjoy the local nature and great scenery at Humedal Jaboque
- Tee off at one of the golf courses available around Engativá – we would suggest Los Lagartos
- Get some exercise by hiking around Parque La Florida and the surrounding nature reserves
- Enjoy the rides at the Galaxy Park Amusement Park
- Admire native flora and fauna at the Bogota Botanical Garden
- De-stress at one of the many spa facilities available across Engativá
- Splash the cash at a local casino such as Emperador or Orion 2
- Head over to neighbouring Usaquén for the large Sunday market
Recommended Article – Take a look at our AMAZING guide to the best day trips from Medellin.
Best Air BnB in Engativá
You will be blown away when you see this stunning BnB with hotel standard comfort but a backpacker’s hostel’s price. With its modern decor and relaxing atmosphere, this is one of the best places to kick back and relax after a long day of exploring Bogota!
Best Backpacker Hotel in Engativá
Though there are no hostels in Engativá, Deportel Bogotá is the next best thing. It has a very communal atmosphere with great shared facilities including a kitchen and dining area. You get your own private room, but still plenty of space to socialise! A full American style breakfast is served each morning.
Best Budget Hotel in Engativá
Living up to its name, this cosy hotel has a very laid-back atmosphere and stylish interiors. Located close to the shopping centres and parks of Engativá, this is a great option for couples on a budget. Aside from breakfast and the usual comforts, they also offer massage sessions – great for relaxing after a day of exploring!
Best Luxury Hotel in Engativá
As one of the closest hotels to the airport, this is the perfect option if you are only visiting for a few days. It comes with a full fitness centre, luxury amenities and a bar. There is even free parking on-site if you are brave enough to hire a car in Bogotá! A buffet breakfast and Colombian coffee is provided every morning.
Best neighbourhood in Bogotá for a short stay!
- COOLEST thing to do in Teusaquillo – hire a kayak or boat at Simon Bolivar Park and admire the scenery
- BEST place to visit in Teusaquillo – walk into a literary wonderland at the Virgilio Barco Library – the largest in the city
Teusaquillo is sandwiched between Engativá and the central districts, making it ideal for getting around the city. Some of the best attractions in Bogotá are found here, making it ideal if you are only in town for a short amount of time and want to take in the atmosphere and culture.
The huge Simon Bolivar Park is the largest in the city and has plenty of historical sights, outdoor activities and tourist facilities. This makes it a great spot for nature lovers and history buffs alike, and will easily take a day to explore in its entirety!
This combined with the museums, sporting attractions and cultural venues make it a truly eclectic area to stay that will satisfy your every need for a short visit to the city! It also has its fair share of artistic attractions, with one of the main universities in the country based in the area having its own gallery.
- Admire the works of upcoming artists at the Art Gallery of the National University of Colombia
- Watch soccer Latin American style at the Estadio Nemésio Camacho El Campín – home of Independiente Santa Fe and Millonarios
- Partake in some sports yourself at the various league venues across the city for sports such as tennis, basketball and netball
- Hire a bike and take a ride around Simon Bolivar Park and neighbouring areas
- Visiting with kids? Head over to the Kids Museum to learn about daily life for children in Colombia and the toys that have shaped the culture
- Learn about darker parts of Colombia’s history at the Jorge Eliecer Gaitan Museum – dedicated to the assassinated politician.
Best Air BnB in Teusaquillo
Putting you within walking distance from some of the most popular malls and restaurants of Bogota, you will find that this homey BnB is perfect for those who are traveling to shop and eat their way through Colombia! With its brand new furniture, open spaces, and decor that will make you feel right at home, this is one of the best apartments you can find in Bogota!
Best Hostel Teusaquillo
This is a very modern hostel located in the heart of Teusaquillo. The laid back vibe is perfect for socialising with fellow travellers, and the on-site bar offers local spirits and beers! The dorms are very well maintained and there are even some individual suites if you would prefer a little privacy. Continental breakfasts are served every morning.
Best Budget Hotel in Teusaquillo
This hotel is beautifully located with large gardens that provide views over the mountains. The large rooms will feel more like private suites, providing you with great value for money! You can choose from a buffet or an à la carte breakfast with a variety of cuisines on offer. The hotel is also very close to the main stadium – perfect for sport-enthusiasts.
Best Luxury Hotel in Teusaquillo
This is another fantastic splurge option from NH Hotels in Bogotá. Room service is provided 24-hours, with an excellent restaurant located in the hotel and a buffet breakfast each morning. They also offer suites with kitchenettes – ideal if you are looking to prepare your own meals! If you would rather opt for local cuisine, there are plenty of excellent restaurants nearby.
Further Recommended – Take a look at our AMAZING guide to the best day trips from cartagena.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Bogotá
As the capital of Colombia, it is no wonder that Bogotá is one of the best destinations in the country to see the many sides on offer. Whether you are looking for history, culture or modern nightlife, Bogotá has it all and is waiting to be explored.
For the best area, it has to be La Candelaria! It is very well located, filled with great attractions and has a vibrant, Bohemian vibe that showcases Colombian creativity and hospitality. It is extremely budget friendly and offers everything you could want to see or do in Bogotá.
We hope this guide has helped you to choose the best place to stay for your upcoming trip to Bogotá, and we are sure you will enjoy any of the accommodation options mentioned in this guide.
Tell us what your favourite thing to do in Bogotá is, or what you are most looking forward to, in the comments below.
Editor’s Note – No matter where you are traveling, you NEED to have great travel insurance. We have personally tested TONS of travel insurance companies, and can say without a doubt that World Nomads is the absolute best (and most affordable!). Fill out this form to get a quote for your trip to Bogotá!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)