Right in the heart of Indiana, Indianapolis is the largest city and capital of the state! Known best for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, this fast-paced city attracts petrolheads from across the world. It is also a gateway to the American Midwest, letting you experience some of the more unique aspects of local culture – as well as a fascinating history.
Home to over two million people, Indianapolis is a surprisingly large city – and many visitors fail to prepare for this in advance. Sprawling out from the Downtown core, Indianapolis has a wide range of neighborhoods each with something different to offer.
That’s why we’ve built this guide! We’ve consulted locals, travel experts and bloggers and pinned down the three best places to stay in Indianapolis. We also took the time to check out the best things to do, places to visit and accommodation options in each area.
So let’s zoom right ahead!
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Indianapolis?
- Overall Best Place to Stay in Indianapolis – Mile Square
- Where to Stay in Indianapolis for Couples – Fletcher Place
- Coolest Place to Stay in Indianapolis – Fountain Square
Where to Stay in Indianapolis
In a hurry and not fussed on which neighborhood to stay in? These are our four top picks for accommodation in Indianapolis.
- Close to nightlife
- Affordable price
- Modern furnishings
This elegant condo is right in the heart of the city – a mere stone’s throw from the Convention Centre and major inner city attractions! It can sleep up to six guests, making it a great way to save some cash for larger groups.
- AirBnB Plus
- Cosy Interiors
- Central Location
AirBnB Plus properties have been hand-selected by the website for their excellent design and above-and-beyond service! If you’re looking to splurge, these are a great way to elevate your travel experience. This is our favourite in Indianapolis, and is close to both the city centre and Fountain Square.
Hyatt House Indianapolis
- Complimentary Breakfast
- Indoor Pool
- Budget Friendly
This hotel is well located on the boundary between Fletcher Place and Mile Square, giving you quick access to two of the best neighborhoods in Indianapolis! Despite the budget friendly rate, they have great additional services – including an extensive fitness suite and a concierge service.
- Five Stars
- Marble Bathrooms
- Wine Tastings
This lavish hotel might be the only five star accommodation in Indianapolis – but that doesn’t mean they scrape by. It is one of the best-rated hotels in the city and comes with a gorgeous wine bar where you can sample delicacies from across the world.
Indianapolis 3 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Want to make sure you have the perfect itinerary? Check out our guides to the three best neighborhoods in Indianapolis below for the best things to do, places to visit and hotels to stay in!
Overall Best Place to Stay in Indianapolis
- COOLEST thing to do in Mile Square: catch an authentic American Football game at Lucas Oil Stadium – right in the heart of Downtown!
- BEST place to visit in Mile Square: Indiana State Museum has some fascinating exhibits dedicated to the history of the region
Mile Square is the neighborhood right in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis! This is where you will find some of the biggest attractions. Whether you want history, culture or cuisine, there’s something for everyone in this neighborhood. This is where the city first began, and remains the epicentre of activity to this day.
If you’re interested in nightlife, the southern end of Mile Square is home to the most popular nightclubs. As the most central neighborhood, it also has the best transport links to other parts of the city and beyond. If you are visiting for the Indy 500, there are plenty of excursions to the stadium departing from Mile Square.
- Head to the White River Gardens and enjoy a relaxing stroll along the waterfront
- Indianapolis Zoo is a great attraction for all the family
- The Eiteljorg Museum is dedicated to American art from across the Midwest – as well as the far west of the country
- Take a stroll along the canal – this is also where you will find some of the best restaurants, boutiques and casual bars
- Speaking of boutiques – Circle Centre Mall is the main shopping mall in the city, with a good mix of local and national brands
- Sip on a classic cocktail at the 1933 Cocktail Bar, modelled on prohibition era speakeasies
- Rhythm! Discovery Centre is another great attraction for families, with interactive exhibits about percussion
Best Airbnb in Mile Square
Right in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis, this two bedroom condo is perfect for groups of up to six people that want to hit all the main attractions! The famous Jack’s Donuts restaurant is right next door, with plenty of other excellent eateries within walking distance. It also comes with great views.
Best Splurge Airbnb in Mile Square
This stylish AirBnB Plus apartment is arranged in a minimalist style, giving you a bright and airy space to unwind after a long day of exploring the city. The kitchen is spacious and well equipped for a self-catering stay in the city. It is only a short walk from the major transport hubs.
Best Budget Hotel in Mile Square
Home2 Suites is the Hilton’s budget-friendly range – and their Indianapolis accommodation remains one of the most popular hotels in the city! It comes with an indoor pool and fitness suite where you can keep up your routine throughout your stay. There is also a complimentary breakfast.
Best Splurge Hotel in Mile Square
Connected by skybridge to the City Centre Mall, this is a great pick for anyone interested in hitting local stores and boutiques! As the only five star hotel in the city, it is a popular choice with visitors that really want to splash out. There is a large spa on-site offering a wide range of holistic therapies.
Interested in Indianapolis? Read up on the history of Indianapolis!
Where to Stay in Indianapolis for Couples
- COOLEST thing to do in Fletcher Place: take a relaxing stroll through Edna Balz Lacy Park – a major meeting spot in the neighborhood
- BEST place to visit in Fletcher Place: 1205 Distillery is the perfect example of laid-back nightlife in the area
Fletcher Place is located just south of the city centre, and is a great option if you want a more laid-back alternative to Mile Square. For couples, Fletcher Place is great for its close-knit vibes, easy-going nightlife and quirky, independently owned cafes. Fletcher Place truly epitomises cool without being pretentious.
Fletcher Place is also one of our favourite neighborhoods for foodies – with plenty of innovative restaurants waiting around every corner! In the evenings, the neighborhood comes alive with contemporary cocktail bars, microbreweries and wine tasting opportunities. Sandwiched between Mile Square and Fountain Square, it’s also great for getting around the city.
- Calvin Fletcher’s Coffee Company was one of the first third-wave coffee stores in the city, and remains popular with the speciality crowd
- Head to Tappers Arcade Bar where you can enjoy fresh brews, modern cocktails and classic arcade games
- General American Doughnut Company is a must-visit for anyone in the area – grab a bag for the road!
- The Pickled Pedaler is a great night activity for groups where you can enjoy local beers and pedal your way through the city
- Idle Park is one of the best spots in the city for photos of the skyline – perfect for grabbing that Instagram shot
Best Airbnb in Fletcher Place
This laid-back apartment is the perfect hideaway in one of Indianapolis’ coolest neighborhoods! It is surrounded by fantastic restaurants, with multiple event venues within a short walking distance. Continental breakfast items are also included as part of the rate, plus some added extras to keep you fed on the first night.
Best Splurge Airbnb in Fletcher Place
This sleek apartment can sleep up to nine people across three bedrooms – making it the perfect choice for larger groups heading to Indianapolis! The stylish living room has an exposed brick fireplace, and the furnishings throughout perfectly combine traditional and contemporary. It is close to the main nightlife strip in Fletcher Place.
Best Budget Hotel in Fletcher Place
This three star hotel offers more bang for your buck, with modern rooms and great levels of service! There is a spacious fitness suite on-site, as well as an indoor swimming pool. It straddles the boundary between Fletcher Place and Mile Square, giving you easy access to both neighborhoods.
Best Splurge Hotel in Fletcher Place
This four star hotel is perfect if you want a bit of an upgrade! It is only a short walk from Monument Circle, where many of the biggest events are held in the city. There are two restaurants on-site, as well as a stylish cocktail back where you can kick back and enjoy the modern menu.
Coolest Place to Stay in Indianapolis
- COOLEST thing to do in Fountain Square: catch a comedy show – or even some burlesque if you’re brave enough – at White Rabbit Cabaret Club
- BEST place to visit in Fountain Square: the Museum of Psychphonics is a must for antique lovers
Just to the east of Fletcher Place, Fountain Square has a youthful atmosphere and cool vibes! If you are interested in shopping, this is a great place to check out thrift stores, record shops and antique boutiques. Like Fletcher Place, Fountain Square is a great destination for foodies – though it can be a little hipstery.
The nightlife in Fountain Square is very laid-back, with plenty of alternative options on offer! This is a great neighborhood if you want something more than drinks and dancing, with plenty of cultural venues throughout the area.
- The Hoosier Dome is a live music venue where you can catch up and coming local talent
- Nine Lives Cat Cafe is the perfect place to unwind with some feline friends and an excellent cup of coffee
- Rooftop Garden Cocktail Club is the perfect start to the evening, with gorgeous views of Downtown Indianapolis
- The Brass Ring Lounge is an excellent bar and brewery where you can sample some local liquor
- Pleasant Run is a small river with a beautiful walkway – perfect for soaking up the city atmosphere in the morning
Best Airbnb in Fountain Square
This cozy one bedroom apartment is the perfect getaway close to central Indianapolis! It comes with a small kitchenette, which is well equipped for those that opt to self-cater during their stay. Not that you will have to, as some of the best restaurants in Indianapolis are only a two minute walk away.
Best Splurge Airbnb in Fountain Square
Located between Fountain Square and Fletcher Place, this stunning AirBnB Plus apartment is walking distance from the main attractions in both neighborhoods. The ultra-modern kitchen has a luxurious feel, with quartz worktops and the latest equipment. With two bedrooms and two bathrooms, it is a great choice for families.
Best Bed & Breakfast in Fountain Square
This bed and breakfast is only a short walk from the Indianapolis Museum of Modern Art – perfect for creatives visiting the city! You can opt to rent out the entire property, which is a cost-effective choice for larger groups. A continental breakfast is included. It is right next to the Fountain Square Theatre.
Best Apartment in Fountain Square
Whilst there aren’t any luxury hotels in Fountain Square, this apartment is an excellent choice if you want a bit of an upgrade! With three bedrooms, it is a great option for larger families visiting the city. They have a car rental service, with heavy discounts for guests.
Final Thoughts on Where To Stay in Indianapolis?
Indianapolis is a deceptively diverse city, with far more to offer than just the Indy 500 races! The city centre is packed with unique dining and nightlife options, as well as some incredible museums and historic attractions that have to be seen to be believed. If you want to sample authentic midwestern culture, Indianapolis is the perfect starting point.
If we had to pick one neighborhood as our favourite place to stay, we have to go with Fletcher Place! Well connected to the other two neighborhoods in this guide, it perfectly showcases the city’s history whilst still enjoying some of the more contemporary attractions.
That being said, the city centre is fairly easy to get around – and both Mile Square and Fountain Square have their charms. The best place for you depends on what you want to get out of your trip. We hope this guide has helped you narrow down your options.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)