As the second largest city in Bavaria, Nuremberg is packed with typical German culture and centuries of history! From the medieval old town, through to the WWII history of the Southeast area of the city, Nuremberg is a great place to learn about the many aspects of Germany’s past.
Being such a varied city, finding the perfect place to stay in Nuremberg can be difficult. The city is a must-see for any Germany itinerary, so it is important to base yourself in the right area.
That is why we’ve created this guide! Whether you’re looking for nightlife, history or family-friendly fun, we have you covered with information about the seven best places to stay in Nuremberg.
So let’s just get started!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Nuremberg
- Where to stay in Nuremberg for your first time? Sebalder Altstadt
- Where to stay in Nuremberg close to everything? Marienvorstadt
- Where to stay in Nuremberg for nightlife? Lorenzer Altstadt
- Best neighborhood in Nuremberg for families? Oststadt
- Where to stay in Nuremberg on a budget? Steinbühl
- Where to stay in Nuremberg for couples? Gebersdorf
- Where to stay in Nuremberg for history? Dutzendteich
Where to Stay in Nuremberg
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Nuremberg.
- Extremely clean
- Great hospitality
With minimalist decor and splashes of color, this is an Airbnb that will redefine to word style. Complete with wide windows, spacious rooms, and cozy beds, this is the perfect place to call home in the heart of Nuremberg. Both stylish and cozy, this is a B&B you will not want to check out of!
A&O Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof
- Free WiFi
- Meeting Rooms
- Laundry Facilities
Located right next to the Hauptbahnhof, A&O is not only a great hostel for exploring the rest of the city but also for getting out further into Bavaria! The open atmosphere is welcoming for backpackers, families and couples alike – creating a very social experience for all guests.
TIPTOP Hotel Burgschmiet Garni
TIPTOP Hotel is great value for money if you want to stay within the Old Town area! The hotel is decorated with antiques from throughout Germany’s history and has a very traditional decor to match with the surrounding city. Rooms are specially designed for a great night’s sleep, and the customer service is second to none.
Sheraton Carlton Nuernberg
1 swimming pool
Spa and wellness centre
As one of only two five star hotels in Nuremberg, Sheraton Carlton had to take the top spot for splurge choices in the city! The rooms come with great finishing touches including luxury bathrobes and modern conveniences. The spa on the top floor has an excellent terrace with views across the city.
Nuremberg 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods in Nuremberg. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
Best neighbourhood in Nuremberg for your first time!
- COOLEST thing to do in Sebalder Altstadt – sample local produce and enjoy the atmosphere at Hauptmarkt
- BEST place to visit in Sebalder Altstadt – visit the medieval Town Hall and head down to the dungeons to learn about the city’s history
Nuremberg Old Town (known in German as Altstadt) is divided into two areas – with Sebalder Altstadt being north of the river. Though still packed with excellent attractions, Sebalder Altstadt has a quieter atmosphere than Lorenzer Altstadt in the south of the river. This makes it ideal for first-time visitors to the city!
Sebalder Altstadt is packed with historic attractions and local cultural venues that embed you right into the city experience. Whether you want to sample Bavarian beer, or simply enjoy the atmosphere of the winding medieval streets, you’ll be spoilt for choice in this area!
- Sample some excellent beer from across Bavaria and the rest of Germany at Hausbrauerei Altstadthof
- Marvel at historic exhibits and classical art at Museen der Stadt Nurnberg
- Visiting during Christmas? The annual Nuremberg Christmas Market is based right in the heart of Sebalder Altstadt!
- Marvel at the medieval architecture and ancient character of Weissgerbergasse, which starts at the Hangman’s Bridge
- Try out typical German sausage as well as an array of other Bavarian delights at Bratwurst Roslein
- Climb up to Nuremberg Castle for spectacular views across the city, as well as the magnificent Burgermeistergarten
Need more info? Here’s a rundown of things to do in Nuremberg to fill your time there!
Best Air BnB in Sebalder Altstadt
At Felix’s B&B you will not only have all the most historic sites of Nuremberg right outside your door, but the nearby metro stations will have the entire city laid out in front of your feet! With the apartment’s homey atmosphere and cozy bedrooms, you will feel right at home in the heart of the old city!
Best Hostel Sebalder Altstadt
This hostel is an attraction in itself as it is set within a converted medieval castle! They provide a complimentary buffet breakfast in the adjoining restaurant each morning – perfect for setting you up for the day. Each dorm has its own bathroom, and there are excellent social spaces available.
Best Budget Hotel in Sebalder Altstadt
This hotel is located right next to the Nuremberg City Wall, giving you the ultimate access to the main historic attractions in the city! Rooms are specially designed to allow for the perfect night’s sleep, and the quiet area creates a peaceful atmosphere. A full buffet breakfast is provided to all guests.
Best Luxury Hotel in Sebalder Altstadt
This hotel has everything you could possibly need during your stay in Sebalder Altstadt! There is a large gym on-site with a sauna and steam room for unwinding in after your workout. A large buffet breakfast with German and international cuisines is available every morning. It is also well located in the heart of the area.
P.S. – Save a bit of cash in Berlin with our guide to the best hostels in Berlin!
Where to stay in Nuremberg close to everything!
- COOLEST thing to do in Marienvorstadt – take a tour with Action Sport Nürnberg to try out freediving and mermaiding
- BEST place to visit in Marienvorstadt – visit the DB Museum and learn about the history of Germany’s national railway
Located just to the south of the Altstadt, Marienvorstadt is the location of Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof, giving you easy access to other parts of the city and wider Bavaria! This area has a more modern feel than the city centre, making it a great place to discover contemporary culture in Nuremberg.
The museum district is by far the most well-visited part of Marienvorstadt, where you can learn about German history, transport and communication. There are also some excellent tour companies based in the area that can take you to the Old Town and the Nazi Rally Grounds, as well as further into Germany!
- Enjoy the unique nightlife and well-priced drinks at Indabahn Club, just next to the train station!
- More interested in classical culture? Head to Staatstheater Nürnberg and watch an opera or orchestra performance
- Learn about communication in Germany, as well as the history of telecoms across the country, at the Museum fur Kommunikation
- Pick up some typical German clothing and unique souvenirs at Wirkes Dirndl Trachten & Ledermoden
- Want to sample typical German cuisine in the area? Schaeufelewaertschaft is very well rated by tourists and locals alike!
- Head to Rent a Bike where you can try out a fun way to discover the city, located just south of the Hauptbahnhof
Best Air BnB in Marienvorstadt
Putting you right next to the main station in Nuremberg, you could not ask for a better location! You will find that the entire place is just as cozy as it is clean. With its spacious rooms and warm atmosphere, you will be wanting to extend your stay in Nuremberg night after night!
Have some time? Get out of the city with these epic day trips from Nuremberg!
Best Hostel Marienvorstadt
The A&O Hostel has excellent communal facilities including a games room and library area – perfect for mingling with other guests! It also has a family-friendly atmosphere, making it great if you are visiting with children on a budget. They will even accept pets for a small additional fee.
Heading to Munich? Check out our secret guide to for where to stay in Munich, Germany!
Best Budget Hotel in Marienvorstadt
This small hotel is only a stone’s throw from the Hauptbahnhof! It is family run, giving it a homely feel. The owners have created a very creative atmosphere in the hotel, and a homemade breakfast is provided every morning. The high speed WiFi makes this a popular option with digital nomads and businesspeople.
Best Luxury Hotel in Marienvorstadt
One of only two five star hotels in Nuremberg, Le Méridien epitomises luxury! Rooms are fully equipped with elegant marble bathrooms and luxurious fittings. A large continental breakfast is available every morning from the on-site restaurant. There are also fitness facilities and a sauna on-site. It is located right next to the Hauptbahnhof.
Where to stay in Nuremberg for nightlife!
- COOLEST thing to do in Lorenzer Altstadt – take in the local nightlife at Rockcafe Brown Sugar – the most popular venue in the city!
- BEST place to visit in Lorenzer Altstadt – learn about German history and the impact of Bavaria on the world at Germanisches Nationalmuseum
Located south of the river, Lorenzer Altstadt is a much livelier part of the Old Town than neighbouring Sebalder Altstadt! Most of the best nightlife in the city is located in this area, as well as some fantastic dive bars and cafes.
History lovers will still love this part of the Old Town, with magnificent buildings lining the streets and medieval monuments around every corner. Located just across the river from Sebalder Altstadt, and right next to Marienvorstadt, it is also well located for exploring the rest of the city. If you want to experience everything the city has to offer, this is the place to be!
- Visit the magnificent St Lorenz Church, where the name of the area comes from – it perfectly symbolises the city’s medieval origins
- Head to Tapasitos and fall in love with Germany’s obsession with Spanish tapas culture and wine
- Discover the medieval architecture and learn about how people used to live in the city at Museum 22 20 18 Kuhnertsgasse
- Lorenzer Altstadt is much more multicultural than its northern neighbour, and there are many great restaurants – such as O-Sha Thai Restaurant
- Visit Spitteltor – a traditional medieval tower where you can enjoy marvellous views across the Old Town
Best Air BnB in Lorenzer Altstadt
With a location putting you within walking distance of all the best sites in the old town and a style that will make you fall in love with the flat, it is safe to say that when you booking into this B&B you will be right at home! With its stunning decor and great location, you could not ask for a better place to stay in Nuremberg!
Best Hostel Lorenzer Altstadt
This is one of the cheapest hostels in Nuremberg, making it the perfect choice if you are sticking to a tight budget! They provide free coffee to all guests every morning, and high speed WiFi is available throughout the hostel. Check-in is run 24 hours, giving you the convenience to drop off your bags if you are arriving early.
Heading to Dusseldorf? These are Dusseldorf’s 7 top neighborhoods for all types of travelers!
Best Budget Hotel in Lorenzer Altstadt
This boutique hotel is excellent value for money located right in the heart of Lorenzer Altstadt! It is within walking distance of all the main attractions in the area. Rooms come with mod cons and mini bar facilities, and a buffet breakfast is provided every morning.
Best Luxury Hotel in Lorenzer Altstadt
This is the other five star hotel in Nuremberg and the closest to the city centre! Customer service is the real selling point of the Sheraton Carlton, and guests are provided with complimentary mineral water on arrival. There is a spa on-site, as well as a rooftop terrace and a great restaurant.
Like Hostels? These are the coolest hostels in Hamburg!
Best neighbourhood in Nuremberg for families!
- COOLEST thing to do in Oststadt – stroll along Wohrder Wiese and take in the gorgeous Bavarian nature
- BEST place to visit in Oststadt – enjoy a typical marionette performance at Nürnberger Marionettentheater – perfect for kids!
Just east of Sebalder Altstadt, Nuremberg Oststadt is the perfect location for families thanks to the calm atmosphere and leafy streets. Still easily accessed from the city centre, many of the hotels and restaurants in the area are family friendly and come with excellent kids facilities!
The real showstopper of Oststadt is the Wohrder Wiese area where you can enjoy a magnificent walk through nature. You will be transported out of the city and into the Bavarian countryside, whilst still being within ten minutes walk from the Old Town! For a more relaxed and easy-going experience, Oststadt is the perfect location.
- Oststadt is another great area for discovering Nuremberg’s multicultural side – Tiflis is a hub for the Georgian community and serves great food from the country
- Head to Museum Industriekultur to learn about the history, and modern innovation, of Germany’s industrial heritage – there are some great interactive exhibits for kids!
- Discover a less touristy medieval church close to Wohrder Wiese at Bartholomäuskirche
- Laufertorturm is another excellent medieval site that serves as a viewpoint across Oststadt and the north Old Town
- Sample excellent German meat dishes and local beers at Zum Meisterlein – particularly well rated by locals to the area!
Best Air BnB in Oststadt
With balconies overlooking the bustling city below, this Airbnb strikes the perfect balance between the charm of the old town and convinces of the modern city. With several train stations located a short walk away from your apartment, getting around Nuremberg will be a breeze!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Oststadt
There aren’t any hostels in Oststadt, however, Hotel Klughardt is the next best thing for backpackers looking to stay in the area, and families keen to stick to a tight budget! There is a beautiful garden area creating a tranquil ambience and acting as a great social space. A buffet breakfast is provided.
Best Budget Hotel in Oststadt
This is a great upgrade option if you are looking for a boutique hotel experience with great rates on rooms! Located a short walk from the subway, it is conveniently located for getting around the city and discovering the many attractions with ease. Complimentary coffee and buffet breakfasts are provided every morning.
Best Luxury Hotel in Oststadt
Located right next to the lake, this hotel has excellent views across the local nature and feels like it could be based outside of a city! The on-site restaurant showcases local food from the Franconia region and provides a variety of options for breakfast each morning – including vegetarian and gluten-free choices.
Editor’s Note – these are the wildest and craziest party hostels in Berlin!
Where to stay in Nuremberg on a budget!
- COOLEST thing to do in Steinbühl – try your hand at laser tag – a popular activity with locals that you can do at Snap Lasertag
- BEST place to visit in Steinbühl – head to Casablanca Filmkunsttheater – a small arthouse cinema that is also popular with locals
Located just next to Marienvorstadt, Steinbühl is a predominantly residential area that nevertheless has plenty to offer visitors! The restaurants and cafes are much better priced in this area than they are in the touristy Old Town, and it is a great spot to discover the local culture.
It is with short walking distance of the Hauptbahnhof, as well as the south of the Old Town. This means it is a fantastic base for those who are looking to save a little money whilst still being able to explore the city with ease! If you want to mingle with locals and discover how they unwind, this is the place to be.
- Relax after a long day of exploring by enjoying the various spa facilities and holistic therapies at On’s Thaimassage
- Interested in nightlife? World of Nightlife is based in Steinbühl and offers a typical Bavarian experience with great prices
- Head to the northeast of Steinbühl to discover Nurembergs Thai enclave, with plenty of fantastic restaurants and stores
- Follow the escape room trend at Smart Room Nürnber – a popular attraction with locals with excellent themes
- Try some Bavarian dishes and great beers from across Germany at Humboldtklause, located right in the heart of Steinbühl
Best Air BnB in Steinbühl
This quaint boutique style apartment is sure to win you over with its airy rooms, lived-in decor, and atmosphere that will make you feel like you are right at home. With great host that will make sure you are properly welcomed to Nuremberg, this is one of the best B&Bs to stay while traveling to Germany!
Best Hostel Steinbühl
Located on the boundary between Steinbühl and the Old Town, Five Reasons hostel is perfect for backpackers on a budget! There is an excellent bar on-site offering a wide range of beers from the Franconian region. The communal facilities are well rated by previous guests, particularly the kitchen.
Best Budget Hotel in Steinbühl
This is a very artistic hotel offering a vibrant atmosphere that is loved by creatives visiting the city of Nuremberg! All rooms are soundproofed, ensuring a peaceful night’s sleep within walking distance of the city centre. Complimentary coffee is provided every morning and prepared with barista quality. A full buffet breakfast is also provided.
Best Luxury Hotel in Steinbühl
Also located on the boundary with the Old Town, the Park Inn by Radisson is the perfect splurge choice for getting around the city if you want to stay in Steinbühl! All rooms are soundproofed and come with the latest modern conveniences. There is a fitness centre on the top floor offering marvellous views across the city.
Heading to Munich? These are some of the best day trips from Munich!
Best neighbourhood in Nuremberg for couples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Gebersdorf – walk through the fairytale gardens of Faberwald with beautiful nature and intriguing street art in abundance
- BEST place to visit in Gebersdorf – scale the Fernmeldeturm Nürnberg, the tallest freestanding structure in the city with panoramic views of the region
Located a little bit further out of the city, Gebersdorf is the perfect getaway for couples that want to explore Nuremberg but also want a more relaxed location to stay in. The lush area is packed with beautiful parks and leafy streets making it a haven for nature lovers visiting the city!
Faverwald is by far the most popular park in the area, offering quaint bridges, unique monuments and contemporary street art alongside the vast lakes and forest areas! Gebersdorf also has a more modern area where you can enjoy shopping or head to the highest viewpoint – Fernmeldeturm.
- Wander around a typical medieval castle at the preserved Graf Von Faber-Castell’sches Schloss, right in the heart of Faberwald
- Looking for a more sophisticated nightlife experience? Enjoy the luxury cocktails and unique beers at Ruffelmacher Oberasbach
- Museum Alte Mine is a unique experience just outside Faberwald where you can learn about pencil production and the history of the industry in Germany
- Enjoy cuisine inspired by the Mediterranean at La Cultura – a popular dining spot with locals and visitors alike
- See the city on wheels at Inline Skating Rhein-Main-Donau-Kanal where you can hire a pair of skates to explore the canal region
Best Air BnB in Gebersdorf
Putting you in a small cabin surrounded by gardens far away from the noise of the downtown, this BnB is almost like a nature retreat complete with an open terrace and boutique decor. If you are looking to head into town, you will find local transport nearby!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Gebersdorf
Gebersdorf also does not have any hostels, making Eibacher Hof our choice for backpackers and couples on a tight budget! It is traditionally decorated, making you feel like you are living Nuremberg’s history during your stay. A hot buffet breakfast is available every morning, and all the rooms are soundproofed.
Best Budget Hotel in Gebersdorf
Visiting with a car? San Remo gives you direct access to the main roads of the city as well as free on-site parking! An Italian style breakfast is provided every morning, and this Mediterranean theme is continued into each of the rooms. The terrace area even has its own olive tree garden.
Best Luxury Hotel in Gebersdorf
This hotel is the number one choice for environmentally conscious guests! The hotel staff work tirelessly to ensure an eco-friendly experience, and the outdoor garden creates a natural atmosphere in the hotel. A large buffet breakfast selection is available every morning using locally sourced ingredients. High speed WiFi is also available throughout Bio Hotel.
MUST READ – Heading to Hamburg next? Check out our post about some of the most fun day trips from Hamburg!
Best neighbourhood in Nuremberg for history!
- COOLEST thing to do in Dutzendteich – enjoy the beautiful nature and excellent park facilities at Hummelsteiner Park
- BEST place to visit in Dutzendteich – learn about Germany’s horrific past during WWII at the Nazi Rally Grounds
Nuremberg is packed with history from various periods in Germany’s past, and one of the more sombre landmarks are the Nazi Rally Grounds. This is where you can learn about how the Nazi Party rose in German politics, as well as about the famous Nuremberg Trials where war criminals were tried after the war!
Outside of these attractions, Dutzendteich is just like any other area in the city with excellent restaurants and unique bars. There are some small shopping areas where you can pick up modern fashions and unique souvenirs, as well as large parks to unwind after a day of exploring!
- Try out pool based sports during the summer at FCN Freibad, located just northeast of Dutzendteich
- Sample a wide range of Franconian beers, bites and liquors at Gutmann am Dutendteich
- Head to Nürnberger Volksfest to witness a local fair – this is very popular with locals and is a surprisingly enjoyable spot off the main tourist routes
- Catch a local ice hockey game at Arena Nürnberger Versicherung – you can also book your own session on the ice!
- Heading during the summer? Rock am Ring is a popular music festival that attracts revellers from across Germany
Best Air BnB in Dutzendteich
You won’t only have great views of the city from this BnB but the location is one to die for! Putting you within a few minutes of the metro station, you will have all of the city of Nuremberg laid out before your feet! With its unique decor and spacious rooms, you will be sure to want to extend your stay at this homey BnB!
Best Hostel Dutzendteich
A1 Hostel is a popular chain of hostels across Germany, and their Nuremberg accommodation is the closest hostel to the WWII sites in the city. Rooms are brightly decorated in natural tones creating a calming atmosphere. The social spaces are large and perfect for mingling with other guests!
Best Budget Hotel in Dutzendteich
This modern hotel is located right next to Nuremberg Exhibition Centre, making it a popular choice with business travellers! A simple buffet breakfast is provided every morning and there is a small sauna area to unwind in after a day of exploring. Free high speed WiFi is available throughout the property.
Not sure what to do in Munich? We break it down in this guide to Munich!
Best Luxury Hotel in Dutzendteich
Ramada are a popular hotel brand across the world! Their Nuremberg offering has an on-site restaurant providing French cuisine to guests and a complimentary buffet breakfast every morning. There is also a small bar with a terrace providing views toward Nuremberg City Centre and the rest of Dutzendteich.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Nuremberg?
Nuremberg is perhaps the most historically significant destination in Bavaria! Whether you want to learn about Germany’s medieval past or have a more sobering experience at the WWII sites, Nuremberg has a lot to offer for those interested in learning about the history of the region.
For the best area, it has to be Lorenzer Altstadt! Though both areas of the Old Town are excellent for visitors, Lorenzer Altstadt has a much livelier atmosphere than the northern half and a wider range of facilities.
Nevertheless, all of the areas in this guide have something unique to offer and make great bases for exploring wider Bavaria. We hope we have helped you to find the perfect place to stay in the city!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments!
Editor’s Note – No matter where you are traveling, you NEED to have great travel insurance. We have personally tested TONS of travel insurance companies, and can say without a doubt that World Nomads is the absolute best (and most affordable!). Fill out this form to get a quote for your trip to Nuremberg!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)