If you’re in the west of the USA, then you should drop by to see Salt Lake City, Utah. The natural landscape around the city is the real drawcard. It’s perfect for a huge range of outdoor activities and attracts adventure seekers from all over. But the city itself is almost a match for this natural beauty. Salt Lake City is filled with culture, history, and an amazing food scene that will leave you happy that you have so many opportunities to burn some calories.
Salt Lake City is a big city, so it can be difficult to find the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City close to everything. That’s why we created this simple guide, so you can work out the best areas to stay no matter what your interests are.
Let’s get started.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Salt Lake City?
- Where to stay in Salt Lake City first time – Downtown
- Where to stay in Salt Lake City on a budget – Avenues
- Best neighborhood in Salt Lake City for families – Central City
- Best area to stay in Salt Lake City for nightlife – Sugar House
- The Coolest place to stay in Salt Lake City– University-Foothill
Where to Stay in Salt Lake City
If you prefer to keep things simple, here are our best recommendations for places to stay in Salt Lake City no matter what you want to do in the city.
Monthly Rental Downtown
- Wifi, TV
This 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment is a great choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Salt Lake City on a budget. It’s in a quiet neighborhood a short walk from the Downtown area and offers modern, comfortable furnishings and amenities. It even has a large backyard and is surrounded by shops and restaurants.
- Wifi & TV with Standard cable
- Free parking on premises
- Security cameras on property
Salt Lake City is a great place to get a bit of luxury at a good price and this apartment is an example of that. It’s a fully remodeled historic apartment with a full kitchen including a Keurig. The apartment is in a quaint, safe neighborhood and is surrounded by shops. It also offers driveway parking as well as enough space for up to 5 guests.
- 1 swimming pool & Bar
- Featuring an outdoor pool and a spa, this hotel is 8.8 km from Hogle Zoo.
- Abravanel Hall is 10 minutes’ walk from Hyatt Place Salt Lake City Downtown.
If you’re trying to find a hotel in the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City close to everything, this is a good choice. It’s only a short walk from attractions like the Children’s Museum and surrounded by shops and restaurants. The hotel boasts a business and fitness center, a pool, and a spa, as well as large rooms with all the usual modern amenities.
Salt Lake City Neighborhood Guide
Salt Lake City is home to around 200,000 people, but despite its relatively small population, it’s a sprawling city that spreads over 177 miles. This huge area is divided into 19 distinct areas, each of them with its own attractions and appeal. So, if you’re struggling to work out where to stay, here’s where to look.
If you’re trying to decide where to stay in Salt Lake City for your first visit, then head to the Downtown area. This is where you’ll find the biggest collection of shops, restaurants, and attractions.
The next area to look at is Avenues. Overlooking the city, this is a student area where you’ll find budget-friendly accommodation and places to eat.
And then we have Central City, the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City for families. Close to the Downtown and offering a lot of attractions along with a local vibe and prices, this area is ideal when you’re traveling with kids.
The Sugar House neighborhood is an area of real contrast. One of the oldest neighborhoods, it’s also full of college students, which is why the nightlife is absolutely first-rate!
And the final area to think about is the University-Foothill, the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City for couples or anyone else who wants easy access to the natural areas around the city. If you’re a biking, hiking, or nature enthusiast, you’ll love this area.
Salt Lake City’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Whether you’re trying to decide where to stay in Salt Lake City for nightlife or would prefer a quieter visit, here’s where you should be looking.
Where to stay in Salt Lake City first time
- COOLEST thing to do in Downtown – Marvel at the displays at The Leonardo science and technology museum
- BEST place to visit in Downtown – The Farmers’ Market for fresh produce and people watching
If you like to be in the center of all the action when you travel, then you need to stay in Salt Lake City’s Downtown. This is the business center of the city and contains all the best restaurants and shops. It also has the best transport links to other parts of the city, which should make it easy for you to explore during your stay.
The Downtown area is hands down the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City for your first visit. It’s filled with historical architecture that will give you a good introduction to the city as well as art galleries and attractions. It also contains the best variety of accommodation options, so you’ll find somewhere to stay that will suit you no matter what your budget is like.
- Have a meal at the Ramen Bar, Bruges Waffles and Frites, or Red Iguana
- Wander the trails and check out the statues in the International Peace Gardens
- Enjoy the exhibits and movies at the Clark Planetarium
- Learn about the city’s founders at the Pioneer Memorial Museum
- See 5,000 years of art at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts
- Play a round of golf at the Bonneville Golf Course
- Enjoy the paths, playground, and events at Pioneer Park
- Have a drink at the Red Door, Boomerangs Bar Down Under, or Bar-X
Best Airbnb in Downtown
Have a look at this cute house when you’re deciding where to stay in Salt Lake City on a budget. It’s close to the Downtown area and offers amazing access to the train, allowing for easy travel around the city. The apartment is a studio with a full kitchen and sleeps up to 4 guests.
Best High-End Airbnb in Downtown
This newly updated, 1 bedroom apartment is right in the heart of Downtown, offering the ultimate in convenience and local amenities. It has a full bathroom, kitchen, and washing facilities. The apartment has warm, rustic decor and can accommodate up to 4 guests.
Best Budget Hotel in Downtown
With modern rooms and contemporary furnishings, this hotel is a great choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Salt Lake City on a budget. It has lots of extras like a hot tub, sauna, and indoor pool and is located in a busy area with lots of shops and restaurants. There’s also free breakfast in the hotel every morning so that you can start out your day right.
Best Luxury Hotel in Downtown
This hotel is just a short walk from Temple Square and offers lovely rooms with unique furnishings. It has in-room spa services, a 24-hour fitness center, and a restaurant that serves delicious meals for breakfast, lunch, and tea. There’s also a bar at the hotel where you can sit and enjoy a drink after a long day.
Where to stay in Salt Lake City on a budget
- COOLEST thing to do in Avenues – Tour the Capitol Buildings to see how the US political system works
- BEST place to visit in Avenues – Mueller Park Picnic Area for hiking, picnicking, and other outdoor adventure activities
If you prefer a quieter vibe when you travel, then make The Avenues your base. This neighborhood is next to Capitol Hill, a must-see if you’re interested in politics, and it’s a quieter local neighborhood with a lot of state and historical landmarks. You’ll also find a range of restaurants that are different from the norm in this area.
Overlooking the city, The Avenues is close enough to the Downtown area to be convenient, and far enough away to be quieter. It also stretches over miles of natural areas and preserves, so make sure you get out into the surrounding landscape to really see what Salt Lake City is about!
- Learn more about the area at the Natural History Museum of Utah
- Take a walking tour through Temple Square
- Relax and wander the nature trails in Red Butte Garden
- Take in the living history at the This Is The Place Heritage Park
- Head up to the Tomahawk Natural Area for hiking trails and nature experiences
- Try some local brews at Avenues Proper or Tibetan food at Café Shambala
- Grab a quiet or noisy drink at the Beerhive Pub or Poplar Street Pub
Best Airbnb in Avenues
Suitable for 4 guests, this apartment has 2 bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms. It’s a private lower level of a converted Avenue house that was split into two, so you’ll enjoy complete privacy as well as a full kitchen and patio. Built in 1959, the house has a charming retro feel and all the modern amenities.
Best High End Airbnb in Avenues
Want to get out of the city and see the sunset over the landscape? That’s exactly the luxury that this apartment offers. With enough space for up to 4 guests, it’s just 5 minutes from the Downtown area but offers spectacular views of the mountains. You’ll have your own private entrance to this apartment, as well as off-street parking and quick access to a bus stop if you’re reliant on public transport.
Best Budget Hotel in Avenues
Located in the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City, this cozy B&B has a bar, a restaurant, a shared lounge, and a garden for total relaxation during your stay. All of the units have a patio, as well as a dining and seating area and the B&B is close to the Downtown area and all its attractions.
Best Luxury Hotel in Avenues
Clean and modern, this hotel has apartments will full living rooms, kitchenettes, and linens. There’s a hot tub on-site as well as a guest lounge and laundry facilities and the hotel offers free parking in case you need your own transport while you’re in the city.
Best neighborhood in Salt Lake City for families
- COOLEST thing to do in Central City – Keep the kids occupied at the Discovery Gateway Children’s Museum
- BEST place to visit in Central City – Liberty Park for picnics, playgrounds, and pools
If you’re trying to decide where to stay in Salt Lake City for families, then check out Central City. This area has a little bit of everything. It has lots of outdoor spaces where the kids can run around and burn off some energy as well as plenty of indoor attractions. This part of the city also boasts many of the city’s best restaurants, so be prepared to have some feasts while you’re in the area.
Central City is an interesting local area that offers great access to all the attractions and activities just outside the city. If you want to go biking, hiking, or mountain climbing, there are lots of providers in this area who will help you out with gear and guidance.
- Check out the sculptures at the Gilgal Sculpture Garden
- Have a brew at the Desert Edge Brewery at the Pub or Water Witch
- Go people-watching in historic Trolley Square
- Have a bite at Spitz, The Other Place Restaurant, or Sapa
- Head out of the city for biking, hiking, and mountain climbing
- Take the kids to see the birds at the Tracy Aviary
Best Airbnb in Central City
This beautiful apartment is perfect for a couple on a budget. It’s close to local shops and attractions and offers big windows with Downtown and mountain views. The space is large and contemporary, with all the usual amenities, and has its own private balcony. There’s also a gym and a golf simulator in the building in case you want to get some extra exercise during your stay.
Best High End Airbnb in Central City
If you’re trying to decide where to stay in Salt Lake City for families, this is a good choice. It has enough space for up to 6 guests and offers complete privacy for your stay. It’s also within walking distance of Trolley Square and Liberty Park, as well as to some great local restaurants and shops.
Best Budget Hotel in Central City
This motel is a good choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Salt Lake City on a budget. It’s close to the Central City area and has clean, comfortable rooms with the usual amenities. There’s a laundry on-site that you can use as well as a seasonal outdoor pool.
Best Luxury Hotel in Central City
This hotel is close to Central City and offers elegant luxury with lots of extras. Have a meal at the Italian restaurant on-site or just enjoy the gym and indoor pool during your stay. There’s also a bar on-site for a late-night cocktail and some of the rooms have views of the mountains or the Downtown area.
Best area to stay in Salt Lake City for nightlife
- COOLEST thing to do in Sugar House – Get out of the city for jogging or hiking in the Parleys Historic Nature Park
- BEST place to visit in Sugar House – Sugar House Park for sledding in winter and sports of all kinds in summer
Sugar House is hands down the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City for nightlife. This hipster area offers the best combination of bars and clubs, which is why it’s popular among young locals! It also has a good collection of restaurants just in case you prefer to enjoy your drinks with a delicious meal.
Sugar House is one of the oldest areas in Salt Lake City and offers a range of accommodation options to suit every budget. It also boasts great transport links to the rest of the city, so you shouldn’t have any trouble getting around when you stay in this area.
- Play a round at the Nibley Park Golf Course or The Country Club
- Have a picnic at the Hidden Hollow Nature Area
- Relax with a drink at the Campfire Lounge, The Ruin, or The Brickyard Bar
- Have a meal at Bombay House, The Dodo Restaurant, or Bruges Belgian Bistro
- Head out for some hiking on the Parley’s Canyon Overlook Trail Head or the Arcadia Trailhead
Best Airbnb in Sugar House
If you want to be close to everything without spending a fortune, this apartment is a good choice. It offers enough space for 3 guests and is a private guest suite adjacent to a home in a quiet neighborhood. You’ll have complete privacy during your stay as well as a private entrance, kitchenette, and outdoor private parking.
Best High End Airbnb in Sugar House
Located in the best neighborhood in Salt Lake City for nightlife, this is a newer apartment with floor-to-ceiling windows that let in the views. It has 2 bedrooms as well as community facilities like a swimming pool, gym, and jacuzzi that you can use during your stay. The apartment has a big kitchen and is within a few minutes from the best skiing and hiking areas.
Best Budget Hotel in Sugar House
Located right in the center of Sugar House, this hotel is a great choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Salt Lake City for nightlife. The rooms are modern and bright and pack a lot into a relatively small space, with a work desk and seating area as well as a sleeping area.
Best Luxury Hotel in Sugar House
Located close to the popular Sugar House area, this hotel has a shared lounge, business center, fitness center, and an indoor pool. An American breakfast is served every morning and you can always spend your days relaxing in the hot tub or on the sun terrace during your stay. The rooms are large and include a working space just in case you can’t leave your work at home while you’re on holiday.
The Coolest place to stay in Salt Lake City
- COOLEST thing to do in University-Foothill – Experience what life was like in a pioneer village at the This Is The Place Heritage Park.
- BEST place to visit in University-Foothill – Natural History Museum of Utah for some of the best displays you’ve ever seen
If you’d prefer to be out of the city, then why not stay in the University-Foothill? Located on the eastern edge of the city, it offers equal access to the concrete jungle as well as to the mountains and natural areas around the city. This makes it a good choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Salt Lake City for couples or anyone else who travels to experience the outdoors!
But it isn’t all hiking and mountains. The University-Foothill neighborhood is rapidly rising in popularity lately, which is why there are a lot of restaurants, museums, and art galleries springing up all over. And the area also offers good transport links into the rest of the city as well, so you shouldn’t have trouble exploring more urban areas.
- Explore the Bonneville Shoreline trail
- Watch the sun go down at the Water Conservation Garden
- See military displays from the 1800s to today at the Fort Douglas Military Museum
- Take the Living Room Trailhead up to one of the most scenic overlooks outside of the city
- See the displays at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts
- Go exploring through the Miller Bird Refuge and Nature Park
- Have a meal at the Corner Bakery Café or the Pie Pizzeria Underground
Best Airbnb in University-Foothill
Located close to the University-Foothill area as well as the Downtown area, this apartment is bright and cheerful, with enough space for 2 guests. It’s within walking distance of restaurants and of the train and has a private laundry that you can use during your stay.
Best High End Airbnb in University-Foothill
This house is a real find. It has 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and can accommodate up to 12 guests. But it’s the outdoor spaces that really make this house. It has a koi pond, fire pit, and deck where you can sit out and enjoy the surroundings. It’s also close to local attractions like the Red Butte Garden.
Best Budget Hotel in University-Foothill
Located on the grounds of the University, this hotel has a fitness center and offers breakfast options every day. You’ll have your own private room and bathroom and there are laundry facilities on-site as well. It will be easy for you to explore the city from this hotel because the train station is just a few minutes away on foot.
Best Luxury Hotel in University-Foothill
Salt Lake City is all about the mountains, so you might as well enjoy the views during your stay. Located at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains, this hotel has rooms with views, a fitness center, a lounge, and a restaurant on-site. There’s also an all-day coffee shop so you can relax with a cup of your favorite brew.
Final Thoughts on the Best Places to Stay in Salt Lake City
Ever dreamed of hiking through the stark landscape outside of Salt Lake City? Then check out this easy guide to help you decide where to stay in Salt Lake City close to everything. This city is vibrant and alive, with its own culture and way of life. But of course, it’s the natural areas outside that are the real winner, so make sure you get out there!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)
- Wondering Where to Stay in Scottsdale, AZ? [2021!] - August 11, 2021
- 3 AMAZING NEIGHBORHOODS in Alnmouth! - June 8, 2021
- Wondering Where to Stay in Salt Lake City? [2021!] - May 27, 2021