Mendocino is a tiny community that’s home to around 900 people. It’s on the coast of northern California in Mendocino County. You’ve probably never heard of this tiny community, but it’s an ideal destination for an outdoor vacation. Known for its beaches, parks, and local history, there’s plenty to do in this location if you enjoy great scenery and active, outdoor adventures.
Mendocino is so tiny that you’ve probably never heard of it. That means that you might have trouble finding the best neighborhood in Mendocino close to everything. That’s why we created this guide, to make your trip to this part of California comfortable and trouble-free.
So, without further delay, let’s get you out exploring Mendocino.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Mendocino?
- Where to stay in Mendocino first time – Town Center
- Where to stay in Mendocino on a budget – Little River
- Best neighborhood in Mendocino for families – Agate Beach
Where to Stay in Mendocino
Here’s where you’ll find the best Mendocino accommodation for every kind of traveler.
Headlands Inn Bed and Breakfast
- Free WiFi
- Room service
- Tea/coffee maker in all rooms
Nestled within a luscious garden, this charming B&B is surrounded by vibrant flowers and is just a short walk from the center of the enchanting town of Mendocino. The hotel has a New England-style Victorian theme and features a selection of beautifully designed rooms.
Inn at the Cobbler's Walk
- Fitness centre
- 4.6 km from Mendocino Art Center
Indulge in the perfect blend of amazing amenities and an impeccable location at this remarkable beachfront property. The hotel has a selection of elegant rooms, a bar and lounge, a fitness center, along with a beautiful outdoor terrace.
Agate Cove Inn
- Free WiFi
- Free parking
- Very good breakfast
Looking for the perfect luxurious place to stay in Mendocino? Look no further than this exceptional four-star inn. Nestled amidst picturesque surroundings, the inn boasts a stunning garden, deluxe rooms, and beautiful views from across the property.
Mendocino Neighborhood Guide
Mendocino is a truly tiny town, with just under 900 residents, so there aren’t any large neighborhoods where you should stay. However, you don’t want to ensure that you’re as close to the coast as possible, so you can enjoy those stunning ocean views! And here’s where you’ll find them.
The town center is easily the best choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Mendocino close to everything. It has a great collection of shops and restaurants as well as long stretches of coast close by.
If you’re trying to decide where to stay in Mendocino on a budget, then try Little River. Located close to Mendocino, Little River offers accommodation and restaurants with local prices as well as pristine beaches with few other tourists!
If you prefer a quieter area, why not try the Agate Beach area? Close to Mendocino’s Town Center, it offers great hotels with beautiful ocean views and access.
Mendocino’s 3 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Whether you’re trying to decide where to stay in Mendocino for your first time or on a return trip, here’s where you should look.
Where to stay in Mendocino first time
- COOLEST thing to do in the Town Center – Head to Cypress Grove for a secluded beach experience.
- BEST place to visit in the Town Center – Mendocino Headlands State Park for views, beaches, and amazing hiking trails.
The town center is easily the best neighborhood in Mendocino close to everything. It offers a nice collection of shops and restaurants and is right on the coast, so you can enjoy the beach and the beach views without going far from your accommodation at all. Due to the town being so small, you won’t have to use public transport to get around, though it might help if you have your own car so you can explore up and down the coast at your leisure.
This part of California is known for its outdoor activities, so make sure that you’re close to the coastline during your stay. This will allow you to enjoy canoeing, kayaking, hiking, swimming, diving, snorkeling, and other outdoor activities.
- Hike your way along the Point Mendocino Trail
- Check out the art at the Mendocino Art Center or Suzi Long
- Go picnicking at the Big River Beach at Mendocino Headlands State Park or Portuguese Beach
- Take in the views from the Mendocino Overlook
- Have a meal at Flow Restaurant & Lounge or the Good Life Café
- Head out for a night on the town at Patterson’s Pub or Dick’s Place
- Go kayaking or hire a canoe and spend all your time on the ocean
Best Budget Hotel in the Town Center
Set in a stunning garden, this B&B is surrounded by fresh flowers as well as by the town of Mendocino. It’s a New England-style Victorian saltbox and has uniquely decorated rooms and a gourmet breakfast. Some of the rooms at this property have fireplaces and ocean views and the B&B prides itself on personalized and friendly services at all times.
Best Mid-range Hotel in the Town Center
Mendocino Hotel offers a beautiful range of elegant rooms, all of which are filled with antiques. It is also home to a fine dining room equipped with a hand-carved antique bar, a stained glass ceiling, and a bistro-style menu.
Best Luxury Hotel in the Town Center
Located right in the Town Center, this Inn offers massage services, a hot tub, and a sauna for the ultimate in relaxation. Some of the rooms have stunning ocean views, and they all have a fireplace and bathtub to encourage you to relax and let go of the stressful parts of your life.
Where to stay in Mendocino on a budget
- COOLEST thing to do in Little River – Go hiking, biking, or whale watching at the Mendocino Headlands State Park-Big River Property.
- BEST place to visit in Little River – Van Damme State Park for an amazing beach, camping, and numerous trails for hiking and biking.
Located just two miles south of Mendocino, this is a tiny town with only around 700 residents. It’s not the best choice when you’re trying to decide where to stay in Mendocino for nightlife, as there aren’t many bars. However, there is a good collection of local restaurants and accommodation. That’s what makes this the area if you’re on a budget.
Little River is also surrounded by beautiful beaches and state parks, so it offers the same access to outdoor activities as the center of Mendocino.
- Hike the Pygmy Forest Discovery Trail or the Blowhole Trail
- Have a meal at Wild Fish or Little River Inn Restaurant
- Go diving, kayaking, or swimming in the gentle waters of Van Damme Beach
- Hike the Fern Canyon Trailhead
- Spend some alone time overlooking the ocean at the Spring Ranch Nature Preserve
Best Budget Hotel in Little River
There are only a few choices for the best neighborhood in Mendocino if you are on a budget. Staying at this inn in Little River gives you the chance to enjoy a homey feel along with lots of luxury amenities at a great price. The inn offers BBQ facilities, a terrace, private parking, and family rooms to suit all travel groups. Each room has a sitting area, kitchen, and a private bathroom. While you’re at the inn, you can enjoy a delicious American or vegetarian breakfast.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Little River
This beachfront property offers the ideal combination of amenities and beachfront living. The rooms are spacious and graciously decorated and the inn offers a bar and lounge, fitness center, tennis court, and a terrace. The rooms have private bathrooms and their own sitting area where you can relax after a long day by the ocean.
Best Luxury Hotel in Little River
This beautifully traditional yet luxurious hotel is one of the most sought-after places to stay in Little River. It offers a range of elegant room options and has a fantastic location nearby to Van Damme Beach.
Best neighborhood in Mendocino for families
- COOLEST thing to do in Agate Beach – Go hiking on the Keesbury Bay Viewpoint and look for the best-secluded spots.
- BEST place to visit in Agate Beach – Point Cabrillo Light Station State Historic Park for history and lots of local wildlife.
You should stay in Agate Beach if you want to be close to the best neighborhood in Mendocino for families. It’s located close enough to the town center to be convenient. You could easily walk there, but it’s far enough away that you’ll get to enjoy the natural surroundings in peace and quiet.
Another bonus to staying at Agate Beach is the accommodation. As a result of this area being relatively secluded, you can choose somewhere to stay that offers stunning coastal views.
- Take in the dramatic rocky scenery at Agate Beach
- Go hiking on the North Trail Trailhead
- Take in the views at the Sinking Whole
- Learn about the area’s history at the Ford House Visitor Center & Museum
- Spend a day exploring the cliffs, trails, and beach around the Russian Gulch Bridge
- Have a meal at the Luna Trattoria or Café Beaujolais
Best Budget Hotel in Agate Beach
Located close to Agate Beach and the center of town, this inn has rooms with fireplaces and views of the garden or the ocean. The inn is decorated in a gracious Victorian style, complete with lots of modern amenities and private bathrooms. Each room at the inn is unique, so make sure that you choose the one that appeals most to you!
Best Mid-range Hotel in Agate Beach
Despite not being home to any mid-range hotels, this beautiful selection of holiday homes is perfect for those looking to stay near Agate Beach on a mid-range budget. All the homes have different sizes but are all beautifully and traditionally decorated for a comfortable stay.
Best Luxury Hotel in Agate Beach
This four-star inn offers everything you could want for a short or long stay. That’s what makes it the best choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Mendocino for couples. The inn has a beautiful garden and a gourmet breakfast that’s served every morning. It’s also close to the art center and to key attractions in the city.
Final Thoughts on the Best Places to Stay in Mendocino
Mendocino is a small area, but it’s unbeatable in terms of beaches and natural landscapes. If you’re looking for a relaxing place to visit in California, then why not check out the best neighborhoods in Mendocino for your first time? With a bit of planning, you can be close to the coast as well as to the parks that offer so much natural beauty.
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)
- Are These the Best Jobs in the World? Jobs That Allow You to Travel - August 29, 2023
- The Best Ways to Explore Vietnam - August 11, 2023
- 5 Weird and Wonderful Destination Perfect for Students - August 10, 2023