Düsseldorf is a major German city located in the North Rhine-Westphalia region. A vibrant and multicultural hub, the city is best known for its eclectic nightlife and fascinating cultural events! This über-modern gem perfectly showcases Germany’s contemporary atmosphere.
As a major city, figuring out where to stay in Düsseldorf can be quite tricky. Areas are somewhat spread out, and each district has its own unique charms to cater to specific kinds of traveller.
That’s where we come in! We created this guide to help you figure out the best place to stay during your upcoming trip to Düsseldorf. Whether you want to be in the heart of the action, or simply want a calm suburb to unwind in as part of a short break, we have you covered.
So let’s just get started!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Dusseldorf
- Where to stay in Dusseldorf for your first time? Altstadt
- Where to stay in Dusseldorf close to everything? Friedrichstadt
- Where to stay in Dusseldorf for nightlife? Hafen
- Best neighborhood in Dusseldorf for families? Oberbilk
- Where to stay in Dusseldorf on a budget? Flingern
- Where to stay in Dusseldorf for couples? Japan Quarter
- Where to stay in Dusseldorf for a local experience? Unterbilk
Where to Stay in Dusseldorf
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Dusseldorf.
- Terrace, Lift
- Tea/coffee maker in all rooms
Looking for a budget-friendly place to stay in Düsseldorf but with fantastic facilities, then look no further than Hotel Chrisma. Hotel Chrisma offers breathtaking views over the River Rhine, hand-decorated rooms along with a tasty buffet breakfast.
Ruby Luna Hotel
- Bar, Lift & Heating
- Good breakfast
A beautifully modern hotel, with a speak-easy esc feel to it, with dark but luxurious furnishings, Ruby Luna is a fantastically cool place to stay in the city. For the facilities it offers, it is also very reasonably priced, making it our top pick for the best mid-range hotel in Düsseldorf.
- Fitness centre
- Airport shuttle
By far one of the most luxurious hotels in Düsseldorf, the 5-star hotel of Breidenbacher Hof, is one of the most sought-after places to stay in the city. With an awesome location on Königsallee Boulevard and beautiful on-site facilities, including an elegant brasserie with a panoramic view of the city.
Dusseldorf 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods in Dusseldorf. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
Best neighbourhood in Dusseldorf for your first time!
- COOLEST thing to do in Altstadt – sample the altbier at one of the many traditional pubs along Bolkerstrasse
- BEST place to visit in Altstadt – head to the K20 Museum where you can admire the excellent range of works from international artists
Düsseldorf’s Altstadt is the main district in the centre of the city. As the oldest part of the city, it has a much more traditional feel than other areas! Whilst much of it was destroyed during WWII, it has been beautifully restored to transport you back to Germany’s early history. This has resulted in plenty of excellent attractions, bars and restaurants on every corner.
The Bolkerstrasse area comes alive at night, with many of the bars offering traditional beer and well-priced tipples! There are also many museums in the area, helping you to get your cultural fix during the day.
- Filmmuseum Düsseldorf has some excellent exhibits about the history of cinema in Germany and modern production methods
- Head to Stone Club, an alternative nightclub venue that has a much more laid back atmosphere than the bars of Bolkerstrasse
- Take a brewery tour – many of the traditional beer houses in the area have breweries you can visit – we recommend Zum Uerige!
- Düsseldorf’s culinary scene is influenced by its cosmopolitan atmosphere – for great Italian food, head to Wallstrasse
- Admire the historic architecture of the oldest buildings in the city, including Old Town Hall and Schlossturm
Best Budget Hotel in Altstadt
Located right on the edge of Altstadt, Adobe Hotel is also well placed for exploring neighbouring Friedrichstadt! Rooms are well equipped with comfortable furnishings and complimentary high-speed WiFi. A large buffet breakfast is provided as part of the rate, and service standards are highly rated by previous guests.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Altstadt
Situated smack bang in the middle of Düsseldorf’s popular Königsallee Shopping Street in the heart of the Old Town, you won’t find many places with a better location in Altstadt. The hotel is equipped with elegant rooms that are stylishly decorated in autumnal colors and feature floor-to-ceiling windows.
Best Luxury Hotel in Altstadt
As the highest rated five-star hotel in Düsseldorf, Capella Breidenbacher Hof is the perfect choice for those looking to splurge! It is located on the edge of the Altstadt, just before the exclusive Königsallee. There is a large fitness suite on-site, with a well-equipped gym and health clinics.
Editor’s Note – You must check out our article about some of the most adventurous day trips from Berlin!
Where to stay in Dusseldorf close to everything!
- COOLEST thing to do in Friedrichstadt – wander along the gorgeous Königsallee, lined with luxury stores along the banks of a canal
- BEST place to visit in Friedrichstadt – discover a wide range of contemporary works at the Museum of Modern Art
Friedrichstadt is located just south of the Altstadt and is the perfect choice if you want to be centrally located! Düsseldorf Railway Station is located here, keeping you well connected to other towns and cities in North Rhine-Westphalia. It is also within walking distance of Hafen.
The area itself has some interesting attractions – not least the Königsallee, the premier shopping destination in the city! Neighbouring Stadtmitte is the main business district in town, and where you can marvel at the modern architecture of the city. With art galleries, museums and restaurants on every street, this is a great choice for a short stay.
- Shop until you drop at K-Galerie Shopping Centre – located just off Königsallee, there is a great range of international labels
- Catch a live performance at the Savoy Theatre – from theatre and dance to modern music and bands
- If you’re interested in historic landmarks, St Peter Kirche is an interesting spot to learn about local religion and admire the architecture
- Grab some delicious German cuisine, accompanied with a friendly atmosphere, at Schlosser am Furstenplatz
- Soak up Düsseldorf’s multicultural atmosphere with a hearty Greek feast at Mythos-Lammhaus
Best Budget Hotel in Friedrichstadt
If you’re looking for a hotel with your own cooking facilities, then this is the place to stay. It’s clear that eating out in Düsseldorf can be expensive, so if you’re a savvy traveler, then you should definitely look into the Townhouse Düsseldorf’s apartment-style hotel rooms. All the rooms come with a fully equipped kitchenette along with deluxe beds and air conditioning!
Best Mid-range Hotel in Friedrichstadt
Ruby Lona hotel is situated in the heart of Friedrichstadt, just a stone’s throw away from plenty of chic bars, cozy cafes and tasty restaurants. All the rooms at the hotel are designed elegantly and luxuriously, with a big comfy bed, a rainfall shower, along with soft and fluffy pillows.
Best Luxury Hotel in Friedrichstadt
Another great five star choice in Düsseldorf, InterContinental is located right on the Königsallee, placing you right in the heart of the action! The luxurious rooms are incredibly spacious and come with marble bathroom suites. There is a health and fitness club on site with a gym, spa and beauty salon.
Where to stay in Dusseldorf for nightlife!
- COOLEST thing to do in Hafen – head to the riverside where you can enjoy the cutting edge in Düsseldorf nightlife!
- BEST place to visit in Hafen – climb to the top of the Rheinturm – a huge tower that gives you views across the city
Hafen is an ultra-modern neighborhood that is at the forefront of the city’s nightlife. Whilst many of the bars and clubs in the Altstadt are mostly for tourists, Hafen is where the locals come to party and enjoy cutting edge cuisine. Though it might seem a little more reserved during the day, do not be fooled – this is where the action is happening every night!
It also has some of the most interesting modern architecture in the city! From Frank Gehry designed buildings to the iconic Rheinturm, this is a great place to grab that all-important Instagram shot. The Rheinturm itself also has a great viewing point across the city, as well as a fantastic restaurant.
- Drink with the trendiest locals in MeerBar, located within the Frank Gehry building and serving up delectable cocktails
- If you are visiting during the summer, the nightlife continues throughout the day at Pebble’s Terrace
- Head to Curry, a quirky bistro that serves the Berlin classic currywurst in a variety of innovative styles
- If you want something heartier, head to Rocca Im Gehry’s where you can sample the best steaks in the whole city
- Hitch a ride with Dolphin RIB-Charter, a small boat company that provides trips down the Rhine
- Unwind after a long night of partying at Rive Spa
Best Budget Hotel in Hafen
Hafen is a very upmarket area, so whilst there aren’t any hostels this hotel makes a great choice for backpackers on a strict budget! Its location gives guests prime views over the Rhine river – the perfect setting to wake up to every morning. They provide a complimentary breakfast and private parking.
Check this out – These are the wildest and craziest party hostels in Berlin!
Best Mid-range Hotel in Hafen
This stylish hotel is a bit of an upgrade from the other budget options in the city, but worth forking out a little extra for! The rooms are soundproofed, giving you a peaceful place to relax and enjoy a good night’s sleep. There is a sauna and fitness centre on-site.
Best Luxury Hotel in Hafen
A landmark in its own right, the Hyatt Regency dominates the Dusseldorf skyline and has next level standards of service. The rooftop bar provides awe-inspiring views across the river and city centre! There are spa facilities on-site, as well as a large fitness centre and great restaurant offering complimentary breakfasts.
Best neighbourhood in Dusseldorf for families!
- COOLEST thing to do in Oberbilk – enjoy the recreational facilities and peaceful atmosphere of Volksgarten
- BEST place to visit in Oberbilk – visit the K-13 art gallery to discover the cutting edge in local creativity
Oberbilk is just far away enough from the city centre to give you a peaceful place to stay, whilst still being close enough to give you easy access to the main attractions! This calm atmosphere makes it the perfect area for families visiting Düsseldorf. The large Volksgarten area has plenty of attractions in its own right, keeping everyone in the family entertained during the trip.
Though walking to the city centre is possible, there is also a train station in the south of the region allowing you to get there in a couple of minutes! Oberbilk does have a somewhat residential feel – allowing you to mingle with the locals and truly get to know the city.
- Catch a live concert at the Mitsubishi Electric Halle, located just on the edge of Oberbilk and close to the city centre
- Oberbilk has some of the quirkiest shops in the city – MonDieu is great for artisan crafts, whilst Slowboy has a wide selection of records
- Streichelzoo am Sudpark is a petting zoo right in the middle of Volkspark – perfect for keeping the kids happy
- Kassette has a slightly hipster vibe but is still great for families – during the day they provide board games and an outdoor seating area
- Düsseldorf is known across the country for its excellent range of Southeast Asian restaurants – Chi Bay offers excellent Vietnamese cuisine
There’s so much to do in Germany! So you won’t run out of things to do in Munich!
Best Budget Hotel in Oberbilk
This is another creative hotel located within the heart of Oberbilk! It is right next to Volksgarten park – perfect for exploring the main attractions in the area. There is an art gallery on-site, as well as free WiFi throughout. A buffet breakfast is provided every morning, and private parking is available.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Oberbilk
Auszeit Hotel Düsseldorf has an urban and contemporary design, with sleek facilities including a hotel bar, fitness room, sauna, and relaxation area. Along with this, it has a beautiful terrace area which is the perfect place to have your morning coffee with a view, or perhaps when the sun goes down with a beer.
Best Luxury Hotel in Oberbilk
This four-star hotel is family run, creating a very welcoming environment for families visiting Dusseldorf! They not only offer free WiFi access but also complimentary laptop rental – helping to keep you connected during your stay. Guests are also provided with free public transport tickets, as well as private parking.
Editor’s recommendation – 15 awesome hostels in Munich, Germany.
Where to stay in Dusseldorf on a budget!
- COOLEST thing to do in Flingern – take a guided tour of the Philara Collection and their glassworks factory
- BEST place to visit in Flingern – admire the gorgeous street art along Kiefernstrasse – perfect for getting those photos!
Located east of the city centre, Flingern is an up and coming neighbourhood with a down to earth spirit! Though a little further out from the main attractions of the Altstadt, Flingern is a haven for budget-conscious travellers looking to keep costs down during their visit to Dusseldorf.
The streets ooze hipster cool, with Kiefernstrasse containing the largest display of street art in the city. The shops have a much more boutique vibe, and the bars are popular with the alternative crowd. Cosmopolitan and multicultural, this is a truly eclectic area of the city.
- Café Lotte is an excellent bar – popular with locals, this is one of the cheapest places to try Altbier
- For a more hipster vibe, head to Pechmarie where you can unwind amongst the vintage aesthetic and laid back tunes
- Ackerstraße is the main shopping street in the area – stores offer a variety of goods from independent clothing and artisan homewares to innovative food
- Café Hütgold attracts patrons from across the city with their fantastic handmade cakes – expect large queues at the weekends
- Franz is another great restaurant in the region, offering a local twist on French cuisine such as Alsatian pizza
Best Budget Hotel in Flingern
A brightly decorated hostel with bold colorings throughout, The niu Seven hotel is an incredibly cool place to stay in Flingern on a budget. Along with cool facilities on-site, it is also nearby to lots of incredible attractions, including the famous Dusseldorf Grafenberg Wildlife Park.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Flingern
If you’re looking for modern, sleek, and clean rooms at reasonable prices, then this might be your best option. H2 Hotel Düsseldorf City offers spotless rooms at budget-friendly prices, along with incredible shared facilities including a restaurant and coffee house.
Best Luxury Hotel in Flingern
Housed within a gorgeous 19th Century building, Hotel-Villa Achenbach is located in the calmer part of Flingern giving you a peaceful space to unwind after a day of exploring! Rooms are well equipped with mod cons – including an Android tablet to help you navigate the hotel’s services and local attractions.
Best neighbourhood in Dusseldorf for couples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Japan Quarter – head to Immermanstraße where you can check out the Japanese-style boutiques
- BEST place to visit in Japan Quarter – catch a show at the modern Düsseldorfer Schauspielhaus theatre
Though technically part of Friedrichstadt, Japan Quarter has its own unique atmosphere thanks to the multicultural nature of Düsseldorf. As one of the largest Japanese communities in Europe, it is filled with unique stores, markets and restaurants! It’s location next to Königsallee means there are plenty of upmarket attractions, as well as cheaper options for those on a budget.
This eclectic combination makes it perfect for couples looking for a place to stay during a short trip to the city! It is also right next to the main train station in Düsseldorf – perfect if you are planning some day trips to surrounding towns and cities.
- Klosterstraße is similar to Immermannstraße, however, offers some better choices for budget-conscious shoppers
- Naniwa is a popular ramen restaurant in the area where you can choose your own toppings, broths and noodles
- If you have a sweet tooth to satisfy, Bakery Taka offers a great range of Japanese treats – we recommend trying the matcha cakes
- Takagi Books is a haven for Japanophiles with a great selection of souvenirs, snacks and comics from the country
- If you are self-catering, head to Shochiku to pick up some bargain ingredients – though a supermarket, it has more of a local market atmosphere
Best Budget Hotel in Japan Quarter
This comfortable hotel comes with well-furnished rooms, providing a little touch of luxury at a budget-friendly rate! There is a large garden area where you can sit back and enjoy the sun during the summer, and a quiet room if you just need a few minutes of peace.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Japan Quarter
This branch of the famous hotel chain Hilton has everything you need for a comfortable stay in the city. The hotel features air-conditioned rooms, a fitness center, high-speed Wi-Fi, and a boujee cocktail bar. The hotel also offers a buffet breakfast every morning along with a 24-hour reception.
Best Luxury Hotel in Japan Quarter
Hotel Nikko Düsseldorf is in keeping with the area it is based in, drawing inspiration from Japan with its service and decor! The on-site restaurant serves the cutting edge in Japanese cuisine, and an American style buffet breakfast every morning. A sky spa, sauna and fitness centre are available.
MUST READ – These are Hamburg’s best hostels (for all budgets!)
Best neighbourhood in Dusseldorf for a local experience!
- COOLEST thing to do in Unterbilk – hire an e-bike from eBike Pilot Dusseldorf and enjoy a relaxing ride around the city
- BEST place to visit in Unterbilk – stroll around the Botanical Garden of the University of Heinrich Heine
Unterbilk is located just south of Altstadt, and is a great place for discovering local life in Düsseldorf! Most of the restaurants and cafés in the area are locally owned, giving you a more authentic experience. There are also some interesting shopping streets lined with boutiques where you can pick up souvenirs and clothing.
The neighbouring Bilk area also has a similar atmosphere, and is home to one of the largest universities in the country! The Botanic Gardens are perfect for a relaxing stroll where you can admire the exotic plant life.
- Interested in luxury brands at great prices? Head to Null:Zwo:Elf who also have a great selection of streetwear
- Wandel-Antik Vintage is perfect for antique lovers, with unique household items as well as clothing
- Want something a bit different from altbier? Take a few sips of craft beers from across Germany at Seifen Horst
- Café Modigliani is perfect if you want a bar with a creative atmosphere and budget-friendly prices
- Homemade We Eat Fine serve cupcakes so good that Beyoncé herself regards them as the best in the world
Best Budget Hotel in Unterbilk
This peaceful hotel is one of the most budget-friendly options in Unterbilk! The rooms are elegantly furnished with modern decor, and come with all the mod cons you need for a short trip in the city. A buffet breakfast is provided every morning, and free high-speed WiFi is available throughout.
MUST READ – If you are heading to Berlin next you need to read our post about the 20 coolest hostels in Berlin!
Best Luxury Hotel in Unterbilk
This five-star hotel is located right on the tip of Unterbilk, close to Hafen and the Rheinturm area! They offer fully serviced apartments and studios, giving you a little extra privacy during your stay. Each unit comes with a well-equipped kitchen, making it the ideal choice for those looking to self-cater.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Dusseldorf?
Düsseldorf is a vibrant, multicultural city that perfectly exemplifies modern Germany! The city centre is packed with restored historic buildings and architectural marvels, whilst each suburb has its own cultural flair resulting in unique restaurants and eclectic attractions.
Choosing one area as the best in Düsseldorf is almost impossible, but if forced we would have to go with Flingern! Though a bit further out, Flingern is a real melting pot of all the cultures that make up the city, giving you a cosmopolitan experience.
Nevertheless, all of the neighborhoods mentioned in this guide have their highlights, and we are sure you will enjoy your upcoming trip to this marvellous city.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments!
Editor’s Note – No matter where you are traveling, you NEED to have great travel insurance. We have personally tested TONS of travel insurance companies, and can say without a doubt that World Nomads is the absolute best (and most affordable!). Fill out this form to get a quote for your trip to Düsseldorf!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)