Lush green hills, colorful plant life and bright blue waters make Hvar one of the most beautiful spots in Europe! The Croatian island has enjoyed a tourism boom over the past few years and it’s easy to see why. The laid back lifestyle and great scenery make it perfect for a relaxing getaway.
With tourism still being somewhat new in Croatia, and such a large variety of towns and villages across the island, figuring out the perfect place to stay in Hvar can be difficult. That’s where we come in!
We’ve created this guide to help you plan your upcoming trip to the Dalmatian island. We’ve used personal experience and expert travel resources to pick the seven best areas in Hvar, as well as the best accommodation!
So without further ado, let’s get started!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Hvar
- Where to stay in Hvar for your first time? Stari Grad
- Where to stay in Hvar close to everything? Krizna Luka
- Where to stay in Hvar for nightlife? Hvar Town
- Best neighborhood in Hvar for families? Milna
- Where to stay in Hvar on a budget? Zavala
- Where to stay in Hvar for couples? Jelsa
- Where to stay in Hvar for local culture? Sucuraj
Where to Stay in Hvar
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Hvar.
- Free WiFi
- Outdoor swimming pool
Hotel Arkada is conveniently situated north of Stari Grad, boasting breathtaking sea views at an unbeatable price! You can also expect a beautiful outdoor pool surrounded by lush native forests that give you access to central Stari Grad within walking distance.
- Room service
- Fabulous breakfast
- Outdoor swimming pool
Experience the excellence of a 4-star hotel at competitive prices in a location not to be expensive. The hotel provides an array of exceptional room choices, some of which are equipped with stunning panoramic views of the Adriatic Sea.
Palace Elisabeth, Hvar Heritage Hotel
- Airport shuttle
- Indoor swimming pool
- Spa and wellness centre
Indulge in a truly luxurious experience at the Palace Elisabeth Hvar Heritage Hotel, the oldest and undoubtedly the most sought-after accommodation in Hvar Town. This extraordinary hotel offers an enchanting terrace with captivating views of the marina, a lavish bar area, and exquisitely designed rooms.
Ever stayed in a villa? Live the high life by staying in one of the Best Villas in Hvar!
Hvar 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods in Hvar. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
Best neighbourhood in Hvar for your first time!
- COOLEST thing to do in Stari Grad – head into the skies and jump all the way down again with Skydiving Tandem Hvar
- BEST place to visit in Stari Grad – visit Stari Grad Plain – a UNESCO World Heritage site showcasing the long history of the island
Stari Grad is a great hub if you are looking to discover typical culture on the island and truly feel like a local during your stay! This is the oldest town on Hvar, having been settled by the Greeks, Romans and Croatians. The Stari Grad Plain is an excellent place to learn about this varied history and popular attraction.
Aside from all of that, the streets themselves are gorgeous thanks to the lavender trees and medieval architecture! There are plenty of quaint restaurants and cafés to make you feel right at home. This is great for your first time as it gets you away from the main tourist areas and into the heart of the island.
- Marvel at Petar Hektorovic Castle – built by the eponymous poet during the Renaissance period
- Check out the untouched beauty of Kabal Peninsula – which can be easily accessed by boat from Stari Grad
- Enjoy well-priced drinks and great bar-style food at Lanterna Bruna, a popular nightlife spot with sunset views in the evening
- Sample local cuisine al fresco at Jurin Podrum, located right on the main streets with plenty of outdoor and indoor seating
- Visit Stari Grad Museum to discover local legends and history, as well as artwork from across Croatia
Best Budget Hotel in Stari Grad
Located just north of Stari Grad, the Hotel Arkada has excellent views across the sea and comes in at a great price! Surrounded by native forest, the secluded location gives the hotel a peaceful atmosphere, whilst still being within walking distance of central Stari Grad. There is a pool terrace on-site.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Stari Grad
Hotel Antica is an adult-only accommodation, giving you peace and quiet away from the families and youth crowd! There is a large balcony area with views over the sea and surrounding hills. A buffet breakfast is provided every morning and comes with vegetarian options. Rooms are fully air conditioned.
Best Luxury Hotel in Stari Grad
The Maslina Resort is a stunning 5-star hotel situated just a short distance away from Stari Grad and boasts some of the most luxurious facilities. This includes a sleek outdoor swimming pool, gorgeously deluxe rooms, and a tasty restaurant and bar area.
Recommended Article – Looking for a great hostel in Dubrovnik? Check out our EPIC guide!
Where to stay in Hvar close to everything!
- COOLEST thing to do in Krizna Luka – take a trip to Galesnik Island for unparallelled views across Hvar and the Mediterranean
- BEST place to visit in Krizna Luka – visit Mekicevica, a more secluded beach based in the south perfect for avoiding the crowds
Krizna Luka is based in the south of Hvar Town and is an interesting place to stay if you are looking for something more local! It is well connected to the rest of the island, with many of the public transport stops of Hvar Town ending in Krizna Luka. This makes it the ideal destination if you are looking for a good base to explore further afield.
Krizna Luka can also be somewhat of a hidden gem in itself, with calm back streets and an easy going atmosphere based just a two-minute walk away from the centre of Hvar Town! The local restaurants are a great place to discover the island’s cuisine.
- Discover some well-priced local cuisine at Djordjota Vartal – a very unique restaurant a little bit off the tourist path
- Take a kayak tour around the island from AndAdventure Hvar Day Tours for a great alternative to the regular bus tours
- Visit the Franciscan Monastery – built in the 15th Century and overlooking the main harbour, it is an important historical and religious monument
- Sample some excellent seafood at Lungo Mare – another great restaurant for experiencing local life away from the tourist strips
- Head to Eywa Bar & Street Food if you are more interested in a secluded nightlife spot with excellent views across the harbour
Best Budget Hotel in Krizna Luka
This is an excellent budget option in Krizna Luka that allows you to stay away from the main tourist areas of Hvar Town whilst still within easy walking distance! Free private parking is available for guests with a car – allowing you to explore the rest of the island with ease. A communal patio area provides views over the sea.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Krizna Luka
Aparthotel Teranea provides a variety of apartment-style rooms, all of which have a luxurious design along with a living space and kitchen. One of the best perks of this hotel is the beautiful outdoor swimming pool that has sweeping sea views overlooking the gorgeous Adriatic Sea!
Best Luxury Hotel in Krizna Luka
This is perfect if you enjoy the homely feel of B&Bs but still want some added luxury touches! It comes with a pool on-site that is open year round. Rooms are fully air conditioned with a separate seating area and workspace. There is a complimentary breakfast every morning, with continental and vegetarian options.
Where to stay in Hvar for nightlife!
- COOLEST thing to do in Hvar Town – enjoy the unique nightlife at bars along the centre including Kiva Bar and Hula Hula Hvar
- BEST place to visit in Hvar Town – visit St Stephen’s Cathedral – an important historical and religious hub in the town
Hvar Town is the main centre of Hvar Island and where most of the ferries to Italy and Mainland Croatia stop. Chances are it is already included in your itinerary as it is often the only stop visitors make on the island! Though there are plenty of other great destinations outside of Hvar Town, we particularly recommend this area if you are keen on nightlife.
The nightlife here is much more laid-back than you will find in the larger towns of Europe, allowing you have an easy-going night out with cheap drinks, great music and plenty of opportunities to socialise with locals and other visitors!
- Head to Momo Beach Hvar, a calm waterfront bar providing you with cheap cocktails and excellent views
- Looking to unwind after a night out? Walk down to Dubovica Beach which has some excellent facilities
- Sample delicious local food, showcasing the depth of Croatian cuisine, at Konoba Menego
- Take a boat trip out into the harbour and further to the Pakleni Islands – we recommend Nautica Adventure for excellent rates
- Visit the Armoury – a historic shipyard with ties to all of the empires that once controlled Hvar, and a quirky theatre in the centre
Best Budget Hotel in Hvar Town
This beautiful and traditional 3-star hotel is situated right in the heart of the sort after Hvar Town, making it one of the best value hotels in terms of location. The hotel provides air conditioning and a variety of common areas, making for a fantastic stay.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Hvar Town
This is another beautiful B&B, and is only a minute walk away from the centre of Hvar Town. A large buffet breakfast is provided every morning, helping to set you up for a day of exploring – or recover from a night of partying! All rooms are fully air-conditioned with free WiFi.
Best Luxury Hotel in Hvar Town
The Palace Elisabeth Hvar Heritage Hotel is the oldest and arguably the most luxurious hotel in Hvar and gives guests an experience like no other. On-site at the hotel, you will find an enchanting terrace with views overlooking the marina, a luxurious bar area, and gorgeously designed rooms.
MUST READ – If you are staying in Split, you should check out our post about the most AMAZING hostels in Split!
Best neighbourhood in Hvar for families!
- COOLEST thing to do in Milna – hike around the coastal areas of Milna to discover some hidden gems
- BEST place to visit in Milna – check out the Church of our Lady of Annunciation, right in the middle of Milna!
Located east of Hvar Town, Milna has a much more secluded feel and is perfect for families looking for a quiet getaway! The local atmosphere is very welcoming and allows you to get up close with Croatian culture and the rural way of life in the country.
There are plenty of excellent restaurants along Milna – especially if you like seafood! The hiking trail running through the city is somewhat off the beaten path, giving you a fantastic way to discover some of the island’s more secluded natural beauty areas. The small beach is also ideal for travellers with children, with plenty of excellent facilities.
- Head down to Milna Beach, a family friendly area with sun lounging areas and a more secluded feel than other beaches on the island
- Enjoy some sumptuous Mediterranean cuisine at Mala Milna, with an easy-going vibe and varied menu
- For a more local experience, head to Taverna Milna where Croatian cuisine is combined with Greek for some interesting dishes
- Take a private boat tour from Milna to other areas of the island – the most popular choice is Hvar
- If you’re interested in a luxury dining experience, head to Moli Onte who offer tables right next to the see
Best Budget Hotel in Milna
This seaside resort is located right on the beach, giving you unparalleled views of the sea! There is a large pool area with sun loungers, as well as bike rentals and organised tours. The on-site restaurant serves varied cuisine inspired by Southern Europe, and there are table tennis and billiards facilities.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Milna
This 4-star hotel offers a range of great room options, some of which have magnificent views overlooking the Adriatic Sea. Hotel Fortuna also has a great location for those who want to be close to the water, with the hotel being within a short walk to 4 of Hvar’s best unspoiled pebble beaches.
Best Luxury Hotel in Milna
There aren’t many splurge options in Milna, and unfortunately this hotel is adult only. Nevertheless, it is a fantastic option if you are travelling without kids as it provides a peaceful and exclusive atmosphere! The on-site restaurant offers a complimentary buffet breakfast, and the secluded pool area is right next to the beach.
Recommended article! Also – if you’ll visit Split, you HAVE to check out our article about some of the best day trips from Split.
Where to stay in Hvar on a budget!
- COOLEST thing to do in Zavala – head on a boat trip to nearby Scedro Island for more natural beauty and great restaurants
- BEST place to visit in Zavala – visit Zavala Beach – a secluded beach offering great sun lounging facilities
Zavala is a small village on the south of the island with a very calm atmosphere and great beaches. The entire village is surrounded by vineyards that make the regional specialty – bogdanjusa wine! Zavala is great for budget travellers thanks to the cheap accommodation prices and excellent restaurants.
The nearby area can also be easily explored from Zavala – giving you a unique alternative to the more touristy areas surrounding Hvar Town! Scedro Island is easily accessed from Zavala and offers a new perspective on Croatian island life. The smaller villages surrounding Zavala also have some unique beaches.
- Enjoy some sumptuous Croatian cuisine at excellent prices at Konoba Ivo Tavern, right in the centre of town
- Head to the vineyards of the surrounding forests to discover local winemaking traditions and sample bogdanjusa
- More into cocktails? Terra Nova has you covered with some well priced cocktails and a small food menu to keep your stomach lined
- Hike along the trail to the Church of St Leopolda Mandica for incredible views across Zavala and the rest of Hvar
- For a more unique food experience, head to Restaurant Skalinada where many of the dishes are cooked over open flame
Best Budget Hotel in Zavala
This magnificent guesthouse has an excellent restaurant on-site that makes their own wine from local grapes! All rooms are fully air conditioned with private bathrooms, and many even offer balconies with views towards the sea. Free parking is available on-site – perfect if you have hired a car on Hvar.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Zavala
Hotel Skalinada has a fantastic location in Zavala nearby, plenty of authentic restaurants and is just a short stroll away from Zavala Port Beach. The hotel also boasts a beautiful outdoor pool that has impeccable views overlooking the coastline, and is the perfect place to cool off from the beaming Croatian Sun.
Best Luxury Hotel in Zavala
This magnificent hotel has astounding views from the pool terrace with modern sun lounging facilities! Rooms are fully air-conditioned and come with flat screen TVs and international cable television. They offer both continental and buffet breakfasts every morning – the perfect start to the day.
Heading to Dubrovnik? These are some of the best day trips from Dubrovnik!
Best neighbourhood in Hvar for couples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Jelsa – head north to Bota Windsurfing Centre to try your hand at watersports
- BEST place to visit in Jelsa – visit Jelsa’s Cultural Centre – the Lapidary – and discover tombs dating back to the Roman era
Jelsa is a quaint town in the north of Hvar that offers excellent boat connections to Split. This makes it a popular stopover for visitors from the mainland and the perfect option for a couples getaway! The town is surrounded by fantastic, secluded beaches and also has some interesting historical churches.
Its distance from Hvar Town might seem inconvenient at first, but it also ensures that Jelsa is one of the most budget friendly destinations on Hvar! The beautiful scenery surrounding the town can be easily explored on foot – or by hiring a bike. We do recommend you hire a car if you are staying in the town and want to explore further.
- Unwind and admire the gorgeous views from Jelsa Park
- Take in a typical, rural Croatian square by visiting Pjaca – great for people watching or dining at a local restaurant
- Hike up to the Tor, a large church tower that offers excellent views north towards Jelsa and the sea
- Head out to Vina Tomic where you can learn how wine is produced on the island and taste a few samples while you’re there
- Head to the neighbouring villages to discover some of the most secluded beaches on the island – most are completely tourist free!
No plans tonight? Check into one of Zagreb’s party hostels for more than just a place to sleep!
Best Budget Hotel in Jelsa
This quaint B&B is the perfect getaway for couples to Hvar! The romantic setting offers a large garden area with patios and seating areas. A continental breakfast is provided every morning, and free WiFi is available throughout the property. There is also parking available on-site if you have hired a car.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Jelsa
This 3-star hotel is packed with an abundance of amazing amenities. Hotel Hvar offers its guests a sea-view restaurant, a spacious lounge bar, and a sparkling outdoor pool along with sporting activities such as tennis courts and bike rental.
Best Luxury Hotel in Jelsa
Located just outside Jelsa, the Adriatiq Resort is located right on the coast with excellent views of the sea! There is a large swimming pool on-site, as well as a separate pool for kids and an excellent restaurant. Rooms come with balconies and kitchenettes, and there is a buffet breakfast provided.
Recommended Article – Take a look at our AMAZING guide to the coolest places to visit in Croatia.
Best neighbourhood in Hvar for local culture!
- COOLEST thing to do in Sucuraj – explore the Perna Inlet – a beautiful natural park area located a five minute drive away
- BEST place to visit in Sucuraj – admire the sweeping views of the sea – and even of the mainland on a clear day – from Sucuraj lighthouse
Located on the far east of Hvar, Sucuraj offers the quickest connections to mainland Croatia. Despite this, it is left off most itineraries to the island and is great if you want to embed yourself in local culture! There are many excellent restaurants, cafes and small bars in Sucuraj just waiting to be explored by more adventurous travellers.
The surrounding area also has plenty of untouched natural beauty, with excellent beaches that are almost tourist free. Heading west to Perna Inlet is a rewarding experience with gorgeous pebble beaches and forested areas. If you want off the beaten path, this is the place to be!
- Visit Drvenik on the mainland – it’s only a short boat journey away and is quite a unique experience on the Dalmatian Coast!
- Both St Nicholas and St George church offer a unique insight into the importance of religion in the area and local history
- Fortica is perhaps the best seafood restaurant on the whole island, and offers seating right on the beach!
- For a more typical Croatian meal, visit Gusarka Luka in the town centre with a great terrace overlooking the main square
- Head to the local bars and check some of the listings in the town stores for folk nights to embed yourself in the local culture
Best Budget Hotel in Sucuraj
Sucuraj mostly offers apartments rather than hotels, and these are a great budget friendly option in the town! The complex comes with barbecue facilities that you can enjoy year round, and rooms are fitted with balconies giving you great views of either the sea or surrounding scenery.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Sucuraj
Apartments Toplak in Sućuraj is a 3-star apartment with barbecue facilities, air-conditioned rooms, and a beautiful terrace with sea views. It is also just a stone’s throw away from the beautiful Česminica Beach!
Best Luxury Hotel in Sucuraj
Apartments in Sucuraj offer a variety of splurge apartment options across the area and in neighbouring towns! They all come with free WiFi and parking areas, as well as modern conveniences and luxury fittings. This particular option is located close to the centre and has a balcony.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Hvar?
Hvar is a great destination to explore off the Dalmatian Coast in Croatia! Offering picturesque scenery wherever you go on the island, there are also plenty of recreational, nightlife and culinary experiences waiting to be had. We suggest you get there quick before the tourism grows even more!
For the best area, it has to be Hvar Town! Not only is it excellent for nightlife, but they also offer a huge range of local experiences and restaurants. It is well connected not just to the rest of the island, but to Croatia and Italy – making it perfect for multi-country itineraries.
We hope this guide has helped you find the perfect area in Hvar.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments!
Editor’s Note – No matter where you are traveling, you NEED to have great travel insurance. We have personally tested TONS of travel insurance companies, and can say without a doubt that World Nomads is the absolute best (and most affordable!). Fill out this form to get a quote for your trip to Hvar
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)
- Are These the Best Jobs in the World? Jobs That Allow You to Travel - August 29, 2023
- The Best Ways to Explore Vietnam - August 11, 2023
- 5 Weird and Wonderful Destination Perfect for Students - August 10, 2023