With gorgeous cliffs, interesting local culture and medieval architecture, it’s no wonder that the Amalfi Coast is one of Italy’s most popular destinations! The laid-back fishing villages are the perfect location to relax and bask in the Mediterranean sun. It is also well connected to Naples for those that want to experience city life.
Each town offers something different, and navigating your way around the area can be tricky. The roads wind through cliffs and mountains, so journeys can take much longer than they appear on the map.
That’s why we’ve created this guide! We’ve figured out the seven best towns in and around the Amalfi Coast and categorised them based on what you are looking for.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Amalfi Coast
- Where to stay in Amalfi Coast for your first time? Positano
- Where to stay in Amalfi Coast close to everything? Sorrento
- Where to stay in Amalfi Coast for nightlife? Salerno
- Best neighbourhood in Amalfi Coast for families? Amalfi
- Where to stay in Amalfi Coast on a budget? Maiori
- Where to stay in Amalfi Coast for couples? Ravello
- Where to stay in Amalfi Coast for trekking? Furore
Where to Stay in Amalfi Coast
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Amalfi Coast.
- Air conditioning
- Free parking on premises
- Free Wifi
This cute and sunny BnB is so much more than just a place to crash, you will be staying in an apartment with stunning views of the city and a location close to all the best sites on the coast. You may find you will never want to check out of your new home!
- Free WiFi
- Laundry Facilities
- Free City Tour
Located in the central town of Amalfi, A Scalinatella is perfect for backpackers that want to explore the region with ease! It is also one of the best-rated hostels in the area thanks to their great guest facilities and levels of service. They offer a complimentary breakfast and regular tours of the area.
Pensione Maria Luisa
Positano is the fashion capital of the Amalfi Coast and nowhere is this more apparent than the Pensione Maria Luisa! Stylish, yet locally inspired, this hotel offers surprisingly budget friendly rates alongside the marvellous views. A continental breakfast is included as part of the rate, and the beach is only a short walk away.
Belmond Hotel Caruso
1 swimming pool
Spa and wellness centre
Truly the pinnacle of luxury on the Amalfi Coast, the Belmond Hotel Caruso comes with unbeatable views of the region’s stunning scenery and a great local vibe! An American style buffet breakfast is provided every morning, allowing you to enjoy some home comforts whilst in the area.
Amalfi Coast 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the seven best neighbourhoods in X. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
Best neighborhood in Amalfi Coast for your first time!
- COOLEST thing to do in Positano – take a day trip to Capri with the local ferry departing from Positano harbour
- BEST place to visit in Positano – the town itself is a major attraction, so we suggest heading to the numerous viewpoints and soaking up the gorgeous vistas
Often the first stop for visitors to the Amalfi Coast, Positano is where you will find many of the attractions that make the entire coast such a popular destination! The magnificent views across the Mediterranean are a major draw, as well as the quaint houses dotted around the cliffs and along the coast.
Within the town, you will find plenty of local restaurants offering you some of the best cuisine in Campania outside of Naples! It is also a major transportation hub for the Amalfi Coast area, with plenty of buses and ferries keeping you well connected to other towns. For first time visitors, this makes it a great base.
- Spiaggia Grande is the main beach in the town and is a hub of life with plenty of restaurants, bars and water sports facilities
- Unique Costiera offer a variety of fantastic culinary experiences – including limoncello tastings and cooking classes
- Collegiata di Santa Maria Assunta is an old church that has become an iconic part of the Positano skyline
- The Amalfi Coast, in general, isn’t really a nightlife destination, but the Music on the Rocks is a good choice for partying with locals
- Grottino Azzurro is an excellent restaurant where you can sample local cuisine and soak up the authentic atmosphere
Best Air BnB in Positano
Putting you just a few steps away from sinking your toes into the sands of Fornillo Beach, this BnB will have you living that romantic Mediterranean life you have always dreamed of! With its relaxing vibes and cozy decor, you will know you are home!
Best Hostel Positano
This hostel is perfect for backpackers on a budget that want to experience the beauty of Positano without breaking the bank! Located up in the hills, there is a large communal terrace where you can admire the view and mingle with other guests. There is also a well-priced bar on-site offering local favourites.
Best Budget Hotel in Positano
This budget hotel is located halfway between the cliffs and Spiaggia del Fornillo, giving you easy access to all of the main areas in the town! Rooms come with terraces which provide you with views of either the sea or the mountains. A complimentary continental breakfast is served every morning.
Best Luxury Hotel in Positano
This luxurious five star hotel is located right in the centre of town! It comes with a Michelin starred restaurant, as well as a pool terrace with views across the Mediterranean. Rooms are well equipped with modern technology and luxury extras. There is also a large wellness centre on-site.
Editor’s Recommendation! These are the staff pick for the top hostels in Milan (for all budgets!)
Where to stay in Amalfi Coast close to everything!
- COOLEST thing to do in Sorrento – take a swim in the Mediterreanean at the Marina Piccola – a popular beach with locals
- BEST place to visit in Sorrento – visit the Villa Pollio, a collection of Roman ruins located just outside of the town centre
Though technically just outside of the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento is the main gateway to the region – making it the perfect stop if you want to spend some time in all of the main towns! It is also connected to Naples, Pompeii and Ercolano by the Circumvesuviano train – and Capri Island by regular ferry services.
Aside from its convenience, Sorrento also has some great attractions in its own right that make it a popular base for visitors in Campania! Larger than the Amalfi Coast towns, but far smaller than Naples, it combines a vibrant atmosphere with the laid-back way of life that Southern Italians are known for.
- Sorrento Bike offer fantastic rental rates that include safety equipment and bike locks – a great way to get to know the area
- Museo Bottega della Tasia Lignea is a locally owned art gallery that showcases works by Campanian artists
- Visit Limorno – a local limoncello store, they also allow you to watch the liquor being made and learn about its history
- Gelateria Davide is a locally famous gelato store offering a variety of flavours that use local ingredients
- Il Fienile Restaurant is about ten minutes outside of the town by taxi but is well worth the visit thanks to their authentic Campanian menu
Best Air BnB in Sorrento
For views unlike any other, this attic stay will have you staring over the breathtaking coastline from one of the large windows and even from your very own terrace! With its cute and boutique atmosphere, you are sure to have the vacation of your dreams!
Best Hostel Sorrento
As this magnificent accommodation complex functions as both a hostel and a hotel, it comes with some great additions that you wouldn’t normally expect in a backpacker lodging! There is a large pool deck with adjoining bar, and guests are given a free pass to all of the surrounding clubs.
Best Budget Hotel in Sorrento
Hotel Il Faro has a very authentic atmosphere – perfect for discovering local life! It is also located only a short walk away from the two main harbours, giving you easy access to local ferry services. An Italian style breakfast buffet is included in the rate, and free WiFi can be accessed throughout.
Italy is amazing! And the best hostels in Rome will blow you away!
Best Luxury Hotel in Sorrento
Though located just outside of Sorrento, this five star hotel is by far the most luxurious option within the vicinity of the town! Rooms are fully air conditioned and come with nice additional touches such as coffee machines and spacious en-suites. The Italian breakfast also comes with vegan and gluten free options.
Where to stay in Amalfi Coast for nightlife!
- COOLEST thing to do in Salerno – catch a local cultural performance at the Palazzo Fruscione
- BEST place to visit in Salerno – Dolce Vita is the most popular nightlife destination in the summer, with dancefloors and restaurants all available
The Amalfi Coast isn’t particularly known for its great nightlife, but neighboring Salerno can be a great option if you want to party with locals but also want to stay close to the gorgeous scenery of Amalfi! Salerno is a student town, so not only does it have great nightlife options but it also comes well priced.
Aside from the nightlife, Salerno also has some greta cultural offerings including the Palazzo Fruscione where you can catch a variety of different types of performance! The restaurants are well priced and offer local fare, and the public transport links to Amalfi and Naples are quick and easy.
- In the winter, Non Ho Sonno is the most popular nightclub offering DJ nights and regular themed events
- Bogart Café is a popular bar and café with students throughout the week that also turns into a nightclub on weekends
- Head to neighbouring Vietri sul Mare, the gateway to the Amalfi Coast from the Salerno side and known for its gorgeous ceramics
- Il Caminetto is a popular restaurant with students thanks to their low prices – grab one of their huge pizzas to beat the hangover
- If you are visiting from November to January, admire the beautiful creative light installations throughout the city centre
Best Air BnB in Salerno
With hotel standard comfort and boutique charm, this BnB is sure to have you falling head over heels in love with his space. With its wide-open french doors opening up to gorgeous views of the city, this is the kind of place where dream vacations are made!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Salerno
Though there aren’t any hostels in Salerno, Il Sorriso is a popular bed and breakfast with backpackers in the town thanks to their great rates! Rooms are basic but come with free access to high speed WiFi and full air conditioning. There is also a great communal terrace where you can meet other guests.
Best Budget Hotel in Salerno
For a little bit of an upgrade, this hotel is still well priced but comes with the extra levels of comfort you would expect from a three star hotel! A buffet breakfast is provided every morning as part of the rate, and free WiFi is available throughout.
Editor’s Tip: make friends by staying at a cool hostel in Venice!
Best Luxury Hotel in Salerno
This four star dream is situated right in the heart of Salerno – giving you easy access to all of the main attractions in the city as well as the nightlife strip! Rooms feature modern design and technology allowing to enjoy a comfortable stay. Their breakfast buffet features vegetarian and gluten-free options.
Best neighborhood in Amalfi Coast for families!
- COOLEST thing to do in Amalfi – hop on board the Amalfi to Positano cruise to take in the sights of the coast from the sea itself
- BEST place to visit in Amalfi – the Cathedral is the main attraction in the town with a magnificent bell tower
The town that gave the coast its name, Amalfi is one of the larger hubs in the area – giving you easy access to all of the other towns and villages! For families, it has a much calmer atmosphere than Positano but still has the same tourism features that will keep you entertained throughout your stay.
Amalfi is the midway point along the coast, so it is also a great base for those that want to stay centrally! There are plenty of fantastic tour companies based in the town – especially if you want to enjoy a boat ride along this section of the Mediterranean.
- The Cloister of Paradise is a must see for anyone interested in historic art – it houses some beautiful mosaics and paintings on its walls
- For the more adventurous, That’s Amore offer regular cycling excursions along the Amalfi Coast – definitely one for more experienced riders
- For something a bit more relaxed, but still adventurous, take a hike up to Valle delle Ferriere for views across the town
- Pasticceria Pansa is the perfect spot to enjoy a morning coffee and typical Italian pastries with views of the Cathedral
- During the day, Donna Stella is the perfect restaurant for the quintessential Italian experience, set amongst lemon groves
Best Air BnB in Amalfi
With a balcony looking over the stunning Italian coast and romantic blue waters, you won’t find a better place to start your dream vacation in Amalfi! This sunny and spacious BnB is sure to be the highlight of your entire trip to Italy!
Best Hostel Amalfi
This hostel is one of the best rated along the coast and perfect for those that want to stay in the heart of the region! They offer both dorms and privates, allowing you to opt for something more secluded if you wish. They also run regular day trips around Campania at discounted rates.
Recommended Article: Looking for the best hostels in Florence? Check out our EPIC Guide!
Best Budget Hotel in Amalfi
Located right in the centre of town, Albergo S. Andrea is directly opposite the Cloister of Paradise giving you unbeatable views of the iconic landmark! Rooms are fairly basic, but come fully air conditioned and soundproofed. A continental breakfast is also provided in your room every morning.
Best Luxury Hotel in Amalfi
This luxurious five star hotel is perfect for families that want a relaxing stay with mesmerising views across the Amalfi Coast! Situated on top of the cliff, there is a gorgeous terrace area and an infinity pool. There is also a gym and wellness centre, and the pool is heated during the winter months.
Where to stay in Amalfi Coast on a budget!
- COOLEST thing to do in Maiori – shop along the Corsa Reginna where you can pick up bargains on local goods
- BEST place to visit in Maiori – Giardini Palazzo Mezzacapo is a beautiful garden in the town with free concerts throughout the year
There’s no escaping that the Amalfi Coast is one of the most expensive destinations in Italy! That being said, budget conscious travellers can still enjoy the region by opting to stay in Maiori. This town has some of the cheapest accommodation options in the region, and the restaurants are reasonably priced.
Alongside neighboring Minori, this village has a much more local atmosphere than those on the western end of the Amalfi Coast! This makes it a great choice for those that want to discover what the area was like before tourism arrived. Still relatively untouched by tourism, this is the place to be to escape the crowds.
- Head to the beach – a small fee is required, but it has some magnificent views and great bathing facilities
- Lungomare Amendola is another fantastic shopping street that stretches along the coastline of the town
- Bar Pineta is a small bar that is great if you want a laid-back drink in the evenings – it’s lemon grove location gives it an authentic feel
- Pasticceria Napoli offers some of the cheapest pastries in town – and they taste excellent despite this low price
- Maiorauto are a popular scooter rental service based in the town – rent one for a day and whizz along the coast
Best Air BnB in Maiori
Striking a perfect balance close to the beach and far away from the crowds, this apartment’s location will have you enjoying every minute of Amalfi. With its boutique and sunny design and cozy rooms, you will know you are home the second you hit the door!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Maiori
Despite being a budget friendly destination, Maiori doesn’t actually have any hostels – however, the Hotel Europa is a testament to how cheap accommodation is in the area! Located in neighboring Minori, they include a complimentary breakfast and have a stunning cliffside view of both towns. Parking is also available.
Rome is alive! And you’ll find these party hostels have some of the best events around!
Best Budget Hotel in Maiori
Despite only being a two star hotel, Baia Verde packs a real punch where you can enjoy more for your money! They provide an Italian breakfast every morning that can be enjoyed on their gorgeous terrace overlooking the sea. Rooms come with large en-suites and modern conveniences.
Best Luxury Hotel in Maiori
This beautiful five star hotel is by far the best in Maiori! It is absolutely a bit of a splurge, but worth every penny. Not only does it have a stunning cliffside location, it also has a funicular that transports you easily to the beach and back. The wellness centre is packed with fantastic holistic facilities.
Best neighborhood in Amalfi Coast for couples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Ravello – learn typical Italian cooking and shop at local food stores with Mamma Agata’s classes
- BEST place to visit in Ravello – Ravello is known for its marvellous villas, including Villa Cimbrone and its lavish gardens
Located on the eastern end of the Amalfi Coast, Ravello enjoys a more secluded atmosphere but nevertheless has some luxury attractions to keep you entertained throughout your stay. For couples, this makes it the perfect spot for a romantic getaway along the Amalfi Coast! Though a bit of a hidden gem at the moment, we recommend visiting fast before it becomes more popular.
Though the attractions are quite expensive in this area, they are run by locals and are deeply embedded in the region’s history and culture! This gives you an authentic insight into the area, as well as intimate lessons into the influences that shaped the region.
- The Duomo features one of only two bronze doors in Italy, making it an interesting historical and cultural landmark
- The Ravello Concert Society offer regular outdoor concerts where you can enjoy the creative history of the town
- Figli di Papa is a fantastic date night restaurant offering a wide range of dishes using locally sourced ingredients
- Enjoy a wine tasting at Episcopio Winery – it is popular with wine enthusiasts the world over and has hosted some famous faces over the years!
Best Air BnB in Ravello
While many of the BnBs in Amalfi has stunning views, nothing can quite compare with the sights you will see from the enormous and sunny terrace at this BnB! With great views and thoughtful touches, you will feel right at home at his luxury stay!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Ravello
Located right next to the cathedral, Hotel Toro is a central hotel that is perfect for getting around all of the main attractions in the town! The family run hotel comes with a warm and welcoming atmosphere and has even hosted a few celebrities over the years. They offer room service breakfast.
MUST READ! You’ve got to visit these places in Italy when you’re there!
Best Budget Hotel in Ravello
Though a bit closer to mid-range budgets, La Moresca is well worth the extra money thanks to the excellent views from every room! Rooms are well equipped with large en-suites and luxury toiletries. An Italian style buffet breakfast is provided every morning, and high speed WiFi can be accessed throughout.
Best Luxury Hotel in Ravello
Sat on the edge of a cliff, the Belmond Hotel Caruso is the ultimate destination for a romantic getaway in Campania! Rooms come with modern technology and are very spacious. The hotel is decorated with traditional frescoes, giving you a more authentic atmosphere. There is also a pool and garden terrace.
MUST READ! We’ve organized the best places to stay in Milan for all types of trips!
Best neighborhood in Amalfi Coast for trekking!
- COOLEST thing to do in Furore – hike along the many trails that lead from Furore into the Lattari Mountains
- BEST place to visit in Furore – visit the Painted Town to admire the murals and artistic atmosphere
Furore is a small village about halfway between Positano and Amalfi that has some fantastic hiking trails! This makes it a popular destination with adventure travellers wanting to explore the surrounding mountain range. The tourism office in the centre of the town has some great maps and facilities.
There are also plenty of smaller villages in the nearby mountains where you can enjoy the untouched local culture thanks to the lack of tourism! It is located right next to Praiano, which is a popular choice with beach lovers making their way along the coast.
- Visit the Church of San Giacomo where you can admire gorgeous murals dedicated to the history of the area
- The Fiord of Furore hosts a collection of small towns stretching from a fishing village on the coast to magnificent villas in the interior
- Marisa Cuomo Gran Furore is the place to be for sampling locally produced wine, as well as seeing how it is made
- Grab a bite to eat at Alfonso a Mare – they have fantastic seafood, perfect for recovering from a long hike through the mountains
Best Air BnB in Furore
Complete with its very own garden, this cozy and stylish BnB makes for the perfect starting point to take in the sights of Amalfi. With loads of hiking trails nearby and views of the Italian coast, you will find no better place to call home on your dream holiday!
Best Hotel for Backpackers Furore
Located between Furore and Praiano, Hotel La Conchiglia is a great choice for backpackers that want somewhere secluded that is still within a reasonable budget! It is located next to a public beach, and every room comes with its own balcony or terrace. An Italian style breakfast is also included.
Will you also visit Venice? Check out where we like to stay in Venice!
Best Budget Hotel in Furore
Another great cliffside hotel, this is one of the best-rated accommodation options in the Furore area! The on-site restaurant offers á la carte dining with vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options available – as well as a complimentary breakfast every morning. They also have a private beach and ferry to Capri.
Best Luxury Hotel in Furore
There aren’t any luxury hotels in Furore – however, there are some marvellous holiday homes and apartments for those that want a more local experience! La Contrade comes with a magnificent terrace overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. The kitchen is well-equipped with modern appliances, and there is a swimming pool on-site.
Need to save money? Check out the cheapest hostels in Milan!
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Amalfi Coast?
With majestic cliffs, stunning beaches and authentic villages, the Amalfi Coast truly has something for everyone! Though quite popular with tourists already, it still has some excellent secluded areas just waiting to be discovered – and the restaurants offer some of the best cuisine in Italy.
Choosing the best neighborhood is difficult, but if we had to pick one it has to be Maiori! This town has been less influenced by tourism, giving you a more authentic experience at lower prices than elsewhere in the region.
That being said, every town mentioned on this list has its own charms! We hope we have helped you to plan your upcoming trip to this beautiful corner of the world.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)