Whilst popular with Japanese tourists, Kanazawa is not as well known internationally as the bigger cities in the country. This makes it a great destination for discovering a more authentic side of Japan! Whether you want to discover temples and geisha culture, or party with the locals, there’s something for everyone in Kanazawa.
As a relatively unknown destination, figuring out where to stay in Kanazawa can be tricky. Like most Japanese cities, it is quite large and densely populated – which makes the districts seem never-ending.
That’s where we come in! We’ve built this guide to the seven best neighborhoods in Kanazawa to help you figure out where to stay during your upcoming trip to the city.
So let’s get started!
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Kanazawa
- Where to stay in Kanazawa for your first time? Kanazawa Castle
- Where to stay in Kanazawa close to everything? Kanazawa Station
- Where to stay in Kanazawa for nightlife? Korinbo
- Best neighborhood in Kanazawa for families? Nagamachi
- Where to stay in Kanazawa on a budget? Omicho Market
- Where to stay in Kanazawa for couples? Higashi Chaya
- Where to stay in Kanazawa for temples? Teramachi
Where to Stay in Kanazawa
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Kanazawa.
Hotel Pacific Kanazawa
- Free WiFi
- Non-smoking rooms
The hotel has exceptional value for money, with a super central location, superb facilities, and warm-hearted all at some of the cheapest prices in the city. Nestled adjacent to Omicho Market, it provides convenient access to both the Kanazawa Castle and Kanazawa Station areas.
Daiwa Roynet Hotel Kanazawa Eki Nishiguchi
- Free WiFi
- Private parking
- Good breakfast
With beautifully modern facilities and a highly sought-after location, the Daiwa Roynet Hotel is a great mid-range choice in the city. The hotel is situated right opposite Kanazawa Station and nearby top attractions such as the Kenrokuen Garden and Kanazawa Castle.
Hotel Nikko Kanazawa
- Private parking
- Very good breakfast
- Myoryu-ji Ninja Temple is 3 km away.
Hotel Nikko is a luxurious hotel situated adjacent to the Kanazawa station and boasts an amazing range of facilities. The hotel comes with fully air-conditioned rooms, some of which showcase breathtaking views of the city.
Kanazawa 7 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Let’s take a look, in more detail, at the five best neighbourhoods in Kanazawa. Each caters to different interests, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
Best neighborhood in Kanazawa for your first time!
- COOLEST thing to do in Kanazawa Castle – sample some of the most delectable sushi in the country at Kourin Sushi
- BEST place to visit in Kanazawa Castle – visit the castle itself, a traditional fortress right in the heart of the city
The area surrounding Kanazawa Castle, known locally as Kenrokumachi, is the tourist hub of the city where you will find most of the historic and cultural attractions! The castle itself is merely the jewel on top of the crown, with elegant gardens surrounding the building and plenty of cute side streets waiting to be discovered.
Though the city centre is one of the most expensive parts of the city, it is still a lot cheaper than many of the more modern districts. In terms of Japan as a whole, it is also one of the most budget-friendly historic centres, allowing you to truly experience the nation’s traditions!
- Take in the relaxing atmosphere of Kenroku-en Gardens, a popular park located right next to the castle
- The Ishikawa Prefectural Museum contains some interesting exhibits of traditional arts and crafts
- Head to the D.T. Suzuki Museum, dedicated to the famous Japanese writer who influenced Zen and Shin religions
- Fusion21 is a fantastic restaurant concept that combines traditional Japanese cuisine with a modern café culture
- For a more tranquil dining experience, head to Uchihashi Tei – located right in the park, it has marvellous views across the river
- The 21st Century Museum of Modern Art is a must-visit for creatives in the city
Heading to Kyoto? Save some money with our guide to the coolest hostels in Kyoto!
Best Budget Hotel in Kanazawa Castle
Ryokan are Japanese inns where you can enjoy a more traditional experience than you will get in the western-style hotels! Kikunoya is one of the best-priced ryokans in the city, allowing you to enjoy the experience without breaking the bank. There is a hot tub on-site, and private parking is available.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Kanazawa Castle
First Hotel Kanazawa has a great of shared facilities including a tasty restaurant, coz shared lounge and a 24-hour reception. The hotel also has a fantastic location near the top sites, including Seisonkaku Villa and Nakamura Memorial Museum.
Best Luxury Hotel in Kanazawa Castle
This elegant four star hotel is truly the height of luxury in Kanazawa! Rooms and common areas are beautifully decorated in a way that combines modern design with traditional furnishings. They provide a complimentary breakfast buffet every morning, and there is a hot spring bath available on-site.
Haven’t Booked for Osaka? Read up on our favorite hostels in Osaka (for any budget)!
Where to stay in Kanazawa close to everything!
- COOLEST thing to do in Kanazawa Station – shop at the international brands and local boutiques hosted within the shopping centre attached to the station
- BEST place to visit in Kanazawa Station – Tsuzumi Gate is often the first landmark visitors see and is an important icon of the city
Whether you are arriving from the airport or elsewhere in Japan, Kanazawa Station is your main gateway into the city! The bullet trains make getting around the country quick and easy, and most intra-city public transport lines pass through the area. Kanazawa Station is a bit more modern than other parts of the city, giving you an extra level of comfort.
Though it does not have any of the most iconic landmarks Kanazawa is known for, Kanazawa Station area is only a short walk from the historic centre! It also has some unique attractions in its own right and is a major shopping destination for locals and visitors alike.
- The Hiraoka Shrine is a modern place of worship right in the heart of the district where you can observe how the locals interact with religion
- Looking for the perfect Instagram shot? Yakantai Tentosuru is a large teapot monument dedicated to Japanese tradition
- InFusion is an up and coming nightlife venue where you can sample a wide range of innovative cocktails and light bites
- Mori Mori Sushi Kanazawa Ekimae is so popular with locals that you are often waiting in long lines to get there – but it is totally worth it, with a great selection of sushi
- If you’re more interested in hot food, you can’t skip Taiga Noodles – a popular ramen restaurant
Editor’s Tip: make friends by staying at a cool hostel in Tokyo!
Best Budget Hotel in Kanazawa Station
This iconic hotel is located right next to the train station, giving you easy access to all areas of the city and further afield in Japan! There are two restaurants on-site serving both Japanese and Western cuisines. A complimentary breakfast buffet is provided every morning, and they also have parking facilities.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Kanazawa Station
Daiwa Roynet Hotel has one of the most sought-after locations in the city with it not only being slotted next door to the Kanazawa Station but also within a short distance to top sites, including Kenrokuen Garden, Kanazawa Castle, and Myoryuji – Ninja Temple.
Best Luxury Hotel in Kanazawa Station
Another great hotel located right next to the station, Hotel Nikko is packed with guest facilities! They have a wide range of restaurants and shops that mean you technically don’t even need to leave the hotel. Rooms are fully air-conditioned, and many of them come with magnificent views across the city.
Where to stay in Kanazawa for nightlife!
- COOLEST thing to do in Korinbo – dance the night away and enjoy delicious cocktails at Kanazawa Music Bar
- BEST place to visit in Korinbo – Korinbo Tokyu Square is a major shopping destination in the south of the area
Korinbo is the premier nightlife destination in the city, offering a great range of party venues whether you want to dance with the locals or live the high life in a classy cocktail bar! Located just west of Kanazawa Castle district, it is also well located for getting around the city’s main attractions.
Make no mistake – Korinbo mostly comes alive during the night time. Nevertheless, there are still some great restaurants and shopping destinations to explore during the day! It is also close to the Nagamachi District – ideal if you want a break from partying.
- If you want something a little more laid back, Kourinbo Jibiruba is a great craft beer bar with easy-going vibes
- Oriental Brewing is another great craft beer bar, though it has a much more bustling atmosphere and is popular with locals
- Ivory Coast Kanazawa is one of the best venues if you want to enjoy live entertainment whilst on a night out
- Still struggling to shake the hangover come dinner time? Aashirwad is a great Indian restaurant with a hearty selection of curries
- The Godburger is another great restaurant, offering some of the best cheeseburgers you will find in Japan
Hiroshima is great! Hiroshima’s hostels are great too!
Best Budget Hotel in Korinbo
This economy hotel is a great budget choice right in the heart of the city, giving you easy access to both Korinbo and Kanazawa Castle! They have a hot spring bath on the top floor, where you can also enjoy great views across the city. A complimentary buffet breakfast is provided every morning.
Let’s simplify this! Here are our favorite areas to stay in Hiroshima!
Best Mid-range Hotel in Korinbo
This beautiful 4-star hotel has an amazing range of modern and sleek room options all of which are air-conditioned and come with private en-suites. The hotel also features a buffet breakfast, 24-hour reception, and a tasty restaurant.
Best Luxury Hotel in Korinbo
This ultra-modern hotel is the perfect splurge option if you are visiting Kanazawa for its vibrant nightlife! Rooms are fully air conditioned and soundproofed, allowing you to enjoy a peaceful night of sleep, and complimentary green tea is provided to every guest. They also have a large breakfast buffet selection.
Not finding the right hostel? Tokyo has a selection of party hostels too!
Best neighborhood in Kanazawa for families!
- COOLEST thing to do in Nagamachi – travel back in time at the Nomura Family Samurai House, a preserved Edo-era house and experience
- BEST place to visit in Nagamachi – marvel at the beautiful Tounji Temple that is steeped in samurai tradition
Whilst being within walking distance of both Kanazawa Castle and Kanazawa Station, Nagamachi is a relatively peaceful neighborhood that makes it the perfect choice for families visiting the city! It also has some fantastic historic attractions, as well as a wide array of family-friendly restaurants.
Nagamachi is known as the samurai district of Kanazawa, where you can walk amongst traditional houses and learn about their history. This makes it a fascinating destination and a great place to live out your Toshiro Mifune samurai film fantasies. There are plenty of interactive activities that keep both kids and adults entertained.
- Kanazawa City Ashigaru Museum has some restored samurai houses that you can explore during your time in the area
- If you are interested in fashion history, take a trip to Nagamachi Yuzen Kan and check out the collection of silk goods
- Buddhism is another major religion in Japan, and the main temple in Kanazawa is Hosenji, located on the outskirts of Nagamachi
- Saan is a great family-friendly restaurant that offers typical Japanese cuisine, as well as small plates to share with the family
- If you are visiting during the winter, grab a filling hot meal at Taro – their hot pot is particularly popular with locals
Planning to visit Tokyo? Some of the best hostels are near Tokyo Station!
Best Budget Hotel in Nagamachi
This guest house is a better choice if you want a more Western-style hotel whilst sticking to a tight budget! There is a shared kitchen – perfect if you are self-catering, as well as for mingling with other guests. Free high speed WiFi is available in every room, and luxury toiletries are provided.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Nagamachi
You will find it hard to find a hotel with a better location for exploring the city than Kanazawa Tokyu Hotel, with it being perfectly slotted between the Nagamachi Samurai District and the city center. This means you are just a short walk to plenty of restaurants and bars, along with the Kenroku-en Garden and Kanazawa Station. The hotel also offers complimentary tea, Japanese tea, and coffee, along with an expansive buffet breakfast at a reasonable cost.
Best Luxury Hotel in Nagamachi
For families looking to splurge, AGORA is a great blend of old and new! They offer basic hotel rooms, as well as traditional Japanese suites with a modern twist. This allows you to experience authentic Japanese accommodation whilst still enjoying luxury comforts. A complimentary buffet breakfast is included.
Have some time? Get out of the city with these epic day trips from Tokyo!
Where to stay in Kanazawa on a budget!
- COOLEST thing to do in Omicho Market – take in the beautiful nature in the park that lines the Asano River area
- BEST place to visit in Omicho Market – visit the market itself, where you can pick up souvenirs and local cuisine at great prices
Though part of Kenrokumachi district, the area surrounding Omicho Market is perfect if you want to be centrally located but still want to stick to a strict budget! The main attraction in the area is the market itself, where you can enjoy well-priced shopping and dining that allows you to experience the city like a local.
Due to its location just north of Kanazawa Castle, the Omicho Market area is well placed for getting around the city – allowing you to stay within a short walk or train journey from all the main attractions! The area also has some quirky attractions of its own, as well as some fantastic restaurants.
- Kanazawa Art Gummi is a small shopping venue where you can pick up some local arts and crafts at discount prices
- The Kanazawa Phonograph Museum is only a short walk away from the market and is one of the most unique experiences in the country
- The beautiful Shurin-Ji Temple is a fantastic attraction for those that want to avoid the busy temples in the tourist districts and enjoy a more local experience
- Kofuku offer a wide range of seafood dishes – including some great budget-friendly sushi and sashimi
- If you just need a little taste of home, Blue Moon is a popular restaurant with locals offering the Japanese take on North American cuisine
Don’t stay in the city too long! Take one of these great day trips from Osaka to see more of the area!
Best Budget Hotel in Omicho Market
Despite only having two stars, Hotel Pacific is very highly rated in customer reviews! This is thanks to its central location, great facilities and friendly staff. Located right next to Omicho Market, it gives you easy access to both the Kanazawa Castle and Kanazawa Station areas of the city.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Omicho Market
SOKI KANAZAWA is a sleek 4-star hotel that perfectly mixes a contemporary design with traditional Japanese features! The hotel also has a great location near Omicho Market, the Kenrokuen Garden, and Kanazawa Castle.
Best Luxury Hotel in Omicho Market
UAN Kanazawa is big on facilities, with the aim to maximise comfort for all of their guests! Rooms are fully air conditioned and come with either a terrace or a balcony. They offer a complimentary breakfast every morning, as well as soba noodles every evening. They also have accessible rooms for disabled guests.
Best neighborhood in Kanazawa for couples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Higashi Chaya – simply wandering around the historic streets will take you back to the time of geishas
- BEST place to visit in Higashi Chaya – take part in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony at one of the tea houses on Kazuemachi Street
Located in the north of Kanazawa, Higashi Chaya is a romantic neighborhood famed as the historic (and modern) home of geishas in the city! Most of the buildings in this area have been well preserved, allowing you to soak up the calm atmosphere of Japanese tradition and admire the unique culture of the city.
For couples, this gives you a great opportunity to combine your romantic getaway with a cultural experience. Aside from the geishas, Higashi Chaya is also known for its tea houses where you can learn about traditional tea ceremonies and sample some of the best beverages in the area!
- Shima is an old geisha house that is now open to the public where you can learn about how they used to live
- Kanazawa Higashi Chayagai Kaikoro is the contemporary home of geishas, making it a great place to spot some of them walking by
- For the perfect date night restaurant, head to Fumuro Chaya and sample their extravagant tasting menus
- Afterwards, head to Hakuichi and try out the gold leaf ice cream, before heading next door to the Kanazawa Yasue Gold Leaf Museum
- Start your night off right with some time at Oriental Brewing, with a great selection of beers and light bites!
Best Budget Hotel in Higashi Chaya
Despite being a budget hotel, Yamanoo has an excellent restaurant attached which is popular with both locals and visitors! For couples, this makes it the perfect option for a romantic getaway on a budget. A complimentary Japanese style breakfast is provided every morning, as well as high speed WiFi.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Higashi Chaya
Maki No Oto Kanazawa is a beautiful 4-star hotel that offers deluxe rooms and a range of amazing added facilities. This includes a bubbling hot tub, a stunning outdoor terrace, and a tasty restaurant.
Best Luxury Hotel in Higashi Chaya
This traditional ryokan is the only five star accommodation in the entire city, making it the most luxurious option available! This is perfect for couples that want to splash out on the ultimate romantic getaway that also provides a cultural experience. A hot spring spa is available on-site, and breakfast is included.
MUST READ! You’ve got to visit these places in Japan when you’re there!
Best neighborhood in Kanazawa for temples!
- COOLEST thing to do in Teramachi – wander along the Sai River and bask in the peaceful atmosphere of the area
- BEST place to visit in Teramachi – with plenty of great temples you will be spoiled for choice – however, Myoryuji is the most popular
Teramachi is a calm area to the south of the city centre, allowing you to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city! It is best known as one of Kanazawa’s three temple districts where you can soak up the local culture and observe religious practices. Myoryuji is the most famous temple in the area due to its connection with ninjas.
Aside from the temples, Teramachi does not have many attractions. Nevertheless, the riverfront area is a great spot for a romantic stroll, or for simply unwinding after a long day of exploring! It is also well connected to the city centre by public transport.
- Korin-ji is another great temple in the area, and one of the best if you want to learn about contemporary religious practices
- Tsujike Teien is a gorgeous nature reserve where you can bathe in waterfalls and admire the beautiful plant life
- Rin is a somewhat upmarket dining experience where you can sample fine seafood, and even try out the infamous blowfish
- For something a little more budget-friendly, head to Moroeya Nishichaya Karyo Ajiwai and try out their street food style offering
Will you also visit Yokohama? Check out where we like to stay in Yokohama!
Best Budget Hotel in Teramachi
This two star inn comes with fantastic guest ratings thanks to the welcoming atmosphere and great facilities! They provide a traditional Japanese breakfast every morning, and there is a communal kitchen where you can prepare your own meals. They offer both traditional Japanese style rooms as well as regular rooms.
Best Mid-range Hotel in Teramachi
All the rooms at this mid-range hotel come with super comfortable beds, air conditioning, a small kitchen along with private en-suite bathrooms. The hotel is also within walking distance of top attractions, including Ishikawa Prefectural Museum of History and the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art.
Best Luxury Hotel in Teramachi
This is another gorgeous ryokan that gives you an authentic Japanese experience! Located right on the riverfront, rooms come with gorgeous views across the city and surrounding park areas. A hot spring bath is available for all guests to use throughout their stay, and a complimentary breakfast is included.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Kanazawa?
Whilst still overlooked by most international visitors to Japan, Kanazawa is definitely somewhere you should consider on your itinerary to the country. With plenty of historic attractions, traditional experiences and beautiful neighborhoods, Kanazawa is arguably the best destination for discovering the nation’s culture and history!
For the best neighborhood, we’re going to have to go with Nagamachi! Whilst still central, it is calm enough to give you a peaceful stay whilst still being within walking distance of all the main attractions.
Nevertheless, there are plenty of great neighborhoods waiting to be discovered in this gorgeous destination. We hope this guide has helped you plan your itinerary for your upcoming trip to Kanazawa.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments!
***Disclaimer*** Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, One Weird Globe will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going :)